Your PRIVATE WiFi™ settings allow you to manage the following items:
- When to activate PRIVATE WiFi
- Changing the PRIVATE WiFi server
Viewing your PRIVATE WiFi settings
You can view your PRIVATE WiFi settings by right-clicking on the PRIVATE WiFi icon in your system tray, and then selecting Settings. The Basic settings screen appears.
The Basic settings screen contains the following fields:
- Activate Private WiFi at computer startup: Select this checkbox if you want PRIVATE WiFi to activate when your computer is running. This setting is selected by default. For more information about activating and deactivating PRIVATE WiFi, see Loading, activating and deactivating PRIVATE WiFi™.
- Activate Private WiFi on internet connection: Select this checkbox if you only want PRIVATE WiFi to activate when you connect to the internet. This setting only works if PRIVATE WiFi is already loaded, either automatically (via the Load on computer startup setting) or manually. This setting is selected by default.
After changing your basic settings, click Apply to apply them.
Click the Advanced tab to view the Advanced settings. The Advanced settings screen appears.
The Advanced settings screen contains the following fields:
- Firewall and AntiVirus Filters: This field lets you know that PRIVATE WiFi’s free firewall (Netfilter) and antivirus software (ClamAV) is turned on. We offer this protection to you for free because we believe that our customers should be as protected as possible when they surf the web. Keep in mind that our protection is only effective when PRIVATE WiFi is activated. If you are surfing the web without activating PRIVATE WiFi, you will have to rely on your computer’s firewall, antivirus software, and network intrusion prevention system.
- Change Server: This drop-down menu allows you to change the server location you are accessing, which changes where websites think you are located. It also changes your IP address. By changing these things, you are enhancing your privacy and anonymity. Click Apply after selecting a new server location. Click Set as default to set the currently selected location as your default location. Note: PRIVATE WiFi currently has servers in Toronto, New York, Virginia, Los Angeles, Singapore and Amsterdam. PRIVATE WiFi assigns these servers automatically, but you can use this menu to choose a different server location if you wish.