Cannot hear AOL Sounds on Windows
Cannot hear AOL Sounds on Windows
You may not be able to hear AOL Sounds on Windows because of several reasons. Listed below are a few solutions to resolve the issue. After trying the first solution, check whether you can hear AOL Sounds. If you are still unable to hear AOL Sounds, continue trying the suggested solutions until the problem is fixed.
Note: You may wish to print or save a copy of these instructions as this page may not remain visible as you go through the suggested steps.
Information you need
You will need to know the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system installed on your computer. You can find this information by following the instructions in our help article Determining your version of Microsoft Windows.
You will also need to know the version of AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) installed on your computer before attempting the solutions given below. If you are using AOL 9.0 Optimized, AOL 9.0 Optimized SE/LE, or AOL Security Edition, follow the instructions in the help article How do I determine the version of AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) I have?
Note: If you are using AOL 9.0 VR or higher, you have ACS 4 installed on your computer.
Sometimes the Windows volume on your computer might be set too low or even muted. If so, the volume settings will have to be adjusted so you can hear the sound. Please click the link corresponding to the version of Windows on your computer for instructions on how to check Windows sound controls.
If you are using a Windows 7 or Windows Vista operating system, please follow these instructions to check the Volume Mixer.
1. Sign in to the AOL Desktop Software with your Username and password.
2. Open the Volume Mixer window by using one of these methods:
Note: If you do not find the Volume Mixer window, please skip to the next solution.
3. Make sure that the AOL Desktop Software is not set to mute.
Close the AOL Desktop Software, restart the AOL Desktop Software, and then check if you are able to hear AOL Sounds.
If the issue still persists, you will have to verify whether you can hear other sounds on your computer. For instructions on how to determine whether you can hear other sounds on your computer, select the appropriate version of Windows installed on your computer from the list given below.
If you can hear sounds in Windows Control Panel but cannot hear sounds while using the AOL Desktop Software, AOL Sounds may have been turned off. Click the appropriate link below for instructions on how to enable AOL Sounds.
Note: If you are using AOL Desktop v10.1, skip to Uninstall and reinstall the AOL Desktop Software.
1. Start the AOL Desktop Software and go to AOL Keyword: AOL sounds.
Note: This keyword can be accessed only within the AOL Desktop Software; however, the Keyword feature is not available in AOL Desktop v10.1.
2. Click Reset All Sounds to AOL Default.
3. Click OK.
4. Close all open browsers.
Restoring AOL Sounds to its default state (the state it was in when you installed the AOL Desktop Software) may help resolve the issue.
To change sound associated with a program event:
1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Hardware and Sound.
3. Click Change system sounds.
4. Under the Sounds tab in the Program list, click an event. Then, click the Test button to listen to the sound currently assigned to the event. The sound probably sounds familiar. If you decide to change it, you’ll hear your new sound in place of the current sound.
5. To change the sound, click the Sounds list down arrow and select a different system sound.
6. To choose a sound that you have downloaded or recorded, click the Browse button.
7. Select the sound and then click Open.
8. Click the Test button again to preview the sound.
9. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to change more sounds assigned to program events. When you are satisfied with your sounds, click Save As.
10. In the Save Scheme As dialog box, type a name for your scheme and then click OK.
11. In the Sounds dialog box, click OK.
QuickTime is a multi-platform movie viewer application that uses the latest streaming technology to access instant content on the web. QuickTime plays clips in almost every movie format and is the only player that will work with some exclusive Apple formats (such as .mov).
Please click the link corresponding to the version of Windows on your computer for instructions on how to install the QuickTime software.
Note: This solution is applicable only if you are using AOL 9.0 and higher. If you are using AOL Desktop v10.1, skip to Uninstall and reinstall the AOL Desktop Software. If you are using AOL 8.0, skip to the next solution.
Note: Please close the AOL Desktop Software before running Quick Restore.
The Quick Restore feature allows you to reset the AOL Desktop Software to its default state by deleting all the updates downloaded in the past. It can help resolve issues that you may have with the AOL Desktop Software without having to reinstall the software.
Once Quick Restore is completed, you will receive a series of AOL Desktop Software updates, known as AOL Tools on Demand (TOD) updates. To learn more, read our help article AOL TOD update.
Please click the link corresponding to the version of ACS installed on your computer for instructions to run Quick Restore.
Note: If you are using AOL Desktop v10.1, skip to the next solution. If you are using AOL 8.0 Plus or lower, go to Clear AOL Artwork Database.
If the issue still persists, we recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the AOL Desktop Software. Uninstalling AOL Desktop removes all damaged and non-repairable files, and reinstalling will create new, error-free files.
Please click the link corresponding to the version of Windows on your computer for instructions to uninstall the AOL Desktop Software.
|About this article:|
|Last updated: 08-11-2011|
|© 2013 AOL Inc.|