You may not be able to send emails using AOL for Mac OS X. After trying the first solution, check whether you can send emails using AOL for Mac OS X. If you cannot, try the suggested solutions until you can send emails.
- Restart the computer, close programs, and then retry
- Check whether you can send emails using AOL WebMail
- Trash software preferences
- Back up personal files, and uninstall and reinstall the AOL software
- Move AOL Desktop folder from Application Support to the desktop
To restart the computer and close programs
1. Click the Apple menu, and then click Shut Down.
Note: Wait for 20 seconds, and then turn on the computer.
2. On the keyboard, hold the Command and Option keys, and then tap the esc key. In the Force Quit Applications window, click any program other than Finder, and then click Force Quit.
3. Repeat step 2 until all programs other than Finder are closed, and then close the Force Quit Applications window by clicking the red dot on the upper left.
If you are able to successfully sign on to AOL WebMail, configure the Mail application on your computer. Refer to the article How to use Mac OS X to read and send AOL or AIM email for more information.
However, if you are not able to sign on to AOL WebMail, continue troubleshooting with the solutions given below.
Trashing the software preferences sets the application's settings to their default state. Refer to the article Trash software preferences for more information.
Note: If trashing preferences using a Mac with Lion (10.7 or higher), please refer to instructions in help article Making the Library folder visible when trashing software preferences or uninstalling AOL Desktop for Mac.
If the issue persists, please back up your personal files, and uninstall and reinstall the AOL software.
To back up personal files:
1. Double-click the MAC HD icon.
3. Double-click the Shared folder.
Note: If the America Online folder is not displayed, go back to the hard drive and look for a previous System folder. Open the previous System folder, and then follow steps 2 to 7. Sometimes, more than one previous System folder may be found. In such cases, several System folders will need to be checked before finding the America Online folder.
5. Drag only the filing cabinet or the screen name file to the desktop. Each screen name in the account will have only one filing cabinet file. You can store this file in a separate folder for future use.
6. Click Back to go back to the Shared folder. Drag the America Online folder to Trash (No data loss will occur. At this point, the only remaining files in this folder are cached files that will be rebuilt).
7. Click the red dot to close any open windows.
To move AOL Desktop folder from application support to the desktop:
1. On the dock at the bottom of your screen, click the Finder icon.
2. Click on Library.
3. Click on the Application Support folder.
4. In the next window, click on the AOL Desktop folder.
5. As you click on the AOL Desktop folder, hold mouse down and drag to desktop.