You may sometimes notice that emails that were previously present in your mailbox on the AOL Desktop Software are now missing. Given below are some solutions to resolve the issue. After trying the first solution, check whether you can locate the email. If you are still unable to locate the email, continue using the suggested solutions until the problem is fixed.
IMPORTANT: If you have a free account with AOL and you haven't accessed your mailbox in the last 120 days, any email associated with that Username will be deleted per AOL's Terms of Service. Next time you login to your mailbox, you'll have a new, clean mailbox ready to use. We apologize for any inconvenience.
If you have a paid account or you frequently access your emails, don't worry: Your email experience will remain unchanged. Follow the instructions below to resolve the issue.
Note: The number of days that an email stays in your mailbox depends on the type of mailbox you use and the folder in which you save the email.
Note: Ensure that you are signed on to the AOL service before carrying out the steps given below.
Check the Old Mail folder
If you have read the email, please check the Old Mail folder for the email.
To view old mail
1. On the AOL toolbar, click the Read icon, and then click Old Mail.
2. Check whether the email that you are looking for is in this folder.
Note: If you are using the New/Old style mailbox, the read email will be marked as Old and moved to the Old Mail folder. Emails marked as Old will automatically be deleted after 6 years.
Check the Recently Deleted folder
If the email was deleted from the mailbox, you may recover it from the Recently Deleted folder.
To check for your recently deleted email
1. On the AOL toolbar, click the Mail menu, and then click Recently Deleted Mail.
2. Determine whether the email that you are looking for is present in this folder.
3. If you find the email you are looking for and want to restore it, click to highlight the email, and then click Restore.
Check the Saved Mail folders
The mail may have been saved in the Saved Mail folders.
To check in the Saved on AOL folder
1. On the AOL toolbar, click the Mail menu, and then click Saved on AOL.
2. Look for your email by clicking the folders saved in the Saved on AOL folder.
To check in the Saved on My PC folder
1. On the AOL toolbar, click the Mail menu, and then click Saved on My PC (Filing Cabinet).
2. Look for your email by clicking the folders saved in the Saved on My PC folder.
Check the Spam folder
Verify whether the email was accidentally diverted to the Spam folder.
To check the Spam folder
1. On the AOL toolbar, click the Mail menu, and then click Spam Folder.
2. Determine whether the email that you are looking for is present in this folder. If you find the email, click to highlight the email,
and then click This is Not Spam.
Note: When you click the This is Not Spam button, the email returns to your Inbox.
Check the Spam Controls settings
If the email that you are looking for is not in the spam folder, it may have been deleted because of your Spam Controls settings.
To set your spam mail controls to save spam emails in the spam folder
1. Go to AOL Keyword: Mail Controls.
Note: This keyword can be accessed only within the AOL software.
2. In the Spam Filter section, click the Medium link.
3. Scroll down to Blocked Mail and set it to Deliver blocked mail to Spam folder.
5. Click Save.
Run Quick Restore
The Quick Restore feature allows you to reset the AOL Desktop Software to the default state by deleting all updates downloaded in the past. It can help resolve issues that you may have with your AOL Desktop Software without having to reinstall the software.
You will need to know the version of AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) that your AOL software (AOL 9.0 or higher) uses to connect to the Internet. You can find this information by following the instructions given in the online help article How do I determine the version of AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) I have?
Please click the link corresponding to the version of ACS installed on your computer for instructions to run Quick Restore.
Save emails to the Saved on My PC folder
To ensure that emails don't disappear from your mailbox in the future, you can change the settings of your mailbox to automatically save your read and sent emails to the Saved on My PC folder.
To save emails in the Saved on My PC folder
1. On the AOL toolbar, click the Mail menu, and then click Mail Settings.
2. To save the incoming mail, select the check box next to Retain all mail I read in my Saved Mail Folder.
3. To save the outgoing mail, select the check box next to Retain all mail I send in my Mail I've Sent Folder.
4. Click Save.
Delete incoming mail filter
1. Go to http://mail.aol.com and sign on with your Username and password.
2. On the upper right, click the Options link.
3. Click Mail Settings in the menu that appeared.
4. In the left panel, click Filters and Alerts.
5. Hover your mouse over each filter listed, and then click the Delete the filter (X) icon next to the filter name. You will get a confirmation at the bottom of the screen that the filter has been deleted.
Uninstall and reinstall the AOL Desktop Software
Before you uninstall and reinstall your AOL Desktop Software, please go to http://mail.aol.com and sign on with your Username and password. If you are able to view your emails on AOL Mail, proceed with uninstalling and reinstalling the AOL Desktop Software.
Uninstalling the AOL Desktop Software removes all damaged and non-repairable files. Once the uninstallation is complete, reinstalling a new copy of the AOL Desktop Software is quick and easy. Please note that uninstalling the AOL Desktop Software removes all Usernames and settings associated with it. However, your Filing Cabinet files will automatically be stored on the desktop in a folder named Saved on AOL.
Important: If you have saved your AOL password on the AOL software, ensure that you remember your password before you uninstall the AOL Desktop Software because uninstalling the software will delete your saved password. If you don’t remember your password, we recommend that you change your password before proceeding any further. You will also need to remember the answer to your Account Security Question (ASQ) to be able to change your password. You can change your ASQ if you don’t remember the answer to it. For instructions to change your password or ASQ, refer to the following online help articles.
- Account Management: Managing your AOL Password
- Account Management: Managing your Account Security Question (ASQ)
Note: Please refer to our help article AOL Desktop Software: Installing and Uninstalling for instructions on how to uninstall and reinstall the AOL Desktop software.