If you are having difficulty viewing online graphics, pictures or images while using the AOL Desktop Software, try the solutions listed below to resolve the issue. After trying the first solution, check whether you can view the graphics, images or pictures clearly while using the AOL Desktop Software. If the issue persists, continue using the suggested solutions until the problem is fixed.
You will need to know the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, web browser and AOL Desktop Software installed on your computer. You will also need to know the version of AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) that your AOL Desktop Software (AOL 9.0 or higher) uses to connect to the internet. You can find this information by following the instructions given in the following help articles:
- Determining your version of Microsoft Windows
- How do I determine my browser version?
- How do I determine the version of my AOL Desktop Software?
- How do I determine the version of AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) I have?
- Verify whether the computer meets the system requirements of the AOL Desktop Software
- Enable pictures in Internet Explorer
- Deactivate graphic compression
- Run Quick Restore
- Clear cookies, cache, history and footprints
- Lower hardware acceleration
You may receive this message if your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements for the AOL Desktop Software installed on your computer. Please read our help article System requirements for the AOL Desktop Software to check whether your computer meets the system requirements for your AOL Desktop Software
Your Internet Explorer settings may not be set to show pictures.
Note: If you are using any browser other than Internet Explorer, skip to Deactivate graphic compression.
To enable pictures in Internet Explorer:
1. Click Start, click All Programs or Programs, and then click Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
Note: Certain versions of Internet Explorer may not display the menu bar by default. Tap the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu bar.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Scroll to the Multimedia section, and then select the check box next to Show pictures or Show pictures-ON.
5. Click OK to close the Internet Options window.
6. Close all open windows.
Graphic compression improves the time taken to download an image but deteriorates image quality. You can improve image quality by deactivating graphic compression, but the deactivation may increase the time taken to download images.
Note: You cannot deactivate graphic compression on AOL 9.6, AOL 9.5 and AOL 9.1.
Please click the link corresponding to the version of the AOL Desktop Software installed on your computer for instructions on how to deactivate graphic compression.
- Deactivate graphic compression on AOL 9.0 VR
- Deactivate graphic compression on AOL 9.0 Security Edition
- Deactivate graphic compression on AOL 9.0 Optimized SE/LE
- Deactivate graphic compression on AOL 9.0 Optimized
- Deactivate graphic compression on AOL Desktop v10.1
- Deactivate graphic compression on AOL 8.0
Note: Please close the AOL Desktop Software before running Quick Restore.
The Quick Restore feature allows you to reset the AOL Desktop Software to the default state by deleting all the updates downloaded in the past. It can help resolve issues that you may have with the AOL Desktop Software without having to reinstall the software.
Once Quick Restore is completed, you will receive a series of AOL Desktop Software updates, also known as AOL Tools on Demand (TOD) updates. To learn more, read our help article AOL TOD update.
Please click the link corresponding to the version of ACS installed on your computer for instructions to run Quick Restore.
Note: If you are using AOL Desktop v10.1, skip to the next solution. If you are using AOL 8.0 Plus or lower, go to Clear AOL Artwork Database.
Whenever you visit websites, temporary internet files and cookies are stored on your computer to record your return visits. These temporary internet files and cookies can sometimes cause the issue you are experiencing. Your history list can be a similar concern. The longer the period of time you have specified for pages to be saved on your history list, the greater the disk space used on your computer. You can free disk space by clearing this list.
Note: Once you clear your cookies, cache, history and footprints, you may lose the following:
- AOL Radio presets
- Websites you have visited
- Your shopping cart
- Your customized pages
The instructions to clear your cookies, cache, history and footprints will differ depending on the browser you use. Please visit our help article Clear cookies, cache, history and footprints to learn how.
Hardware acceleration is the concept of enhancing the processing speed of a software application such as an advanced computer game or a graphics program. If the hardware acceleration of your Windows operating system has been changed or set to high, the graphics, images or pictures may not display properly. Lowering the hardware acceleration of your Windows operating system may resolve this issue.
Click the link corresponding to the version of Windows installed on your computer to learn how to lower the hardware acceleration.
- How to lower hardware acceleration in Windows 7
- How to lower hardware acceleration in Windows Vista
- How to lower hardware acceleration in Windows XP/Me/2000/98