You can automatically save your emails on your computer by using the Personal Filing Cabinet (PFC) feature of the AOL Desktop Software. The PFC is a filing system that helps you store and organize your emails onto your computer's hard drive so that you can read your emails even while you're offline.
IMPORTANT: The number of days an email can stay in your mailbox depends on the type of mailbox (Inbox or New/Old) that you are using and the folder (New, Old, or Sent) in which the email is saved. To learn more, please visit our help article How long are my emails stored in my mailbox?
For instructions on how to set your mail settings to automatically save every email that you read and send, click the appropriate version of the AOL Desktop Software that you are using from the list below:
1. Go to AOL Keyword: Mail Settings.
Note: You can access this keyword only through the AOL Desktop Software; however, the Keyword feature is not available for AOL Desktop v10.1.
2. Click the boxes next to Retain all mail I read in my Saved Mail Folder and Retain all mail I send in my Mail I've Sent Folder to place a check in them.
3. Click Save.
1. Start AOL Desktop, but do not sign in.
2. Click the Settings menu, then click Preferences.
3. Click the Personal Filing Cabinet link.
4. Click the boxes next to Retain all mail I read in my Personal Filing Cabinet and Retain all mail I send in my Personal Filing Cabinet to place a check in them.
5. Click Save.
6. Close all open windows.
1. Start AOL Desktop v10.1.
2. On the AOL toolbar, click the Mail icon. If prompted, sign in.
3. On the Mail window, click Settings, and then click Reading.
4. In the Reading Mail section, click the box next to Save messages I've read to 'Incoming Saved Mail' when permanently deleted to place a check in it.
5. Click Save.