You can set up your AOL Mail to send an automatic reply (away message) to emails that you receive while you are on vacation. Simply follow the steps given below to enable away messages in all versions of the AOL software (except AOL Desktop v10.1).
1. Sign on to the AOL software.
2. Click the Mail menu, and then click Set Away Message or Mail Away Message.
Note: To set a default message using AOL 8.0 Plus or lower, on the AOL toolbar, click Settings, and then click Preferences. In the Settings window, under A, click the Away Message (email) link.
3. The Mail Away Settings window will appear. You can choose from the 4 options available.
- No mail away message: Choose this option to stop Mail Away messages from being sent to emails that you receive. This is the default option.
- Hello, I am unavailable to read your message at this time: Select this option to send Mail Away messages with the default text.
- Hello, I am away until __ and am unable to read your message: Select this option to let the sender know that you will be unavailable until the given date.
- Custom: Select this option to customize your mail away message.
Note: If a person sends you more than one email when you are away, he/she will receive your away message only for the first email. When you become available again, remember to turn off your away message.
4. Once you have selected the desired option, click Save.
5. Click OK on the confirmation window.
6. Click X to close the Mail Away Settings window.