We recommended that you follow the instructions below; however, if you are unable to uninstall the AOL Desktop Software using the instructions below, you can manually uninstall the AOL Desktop Software by deleting the AOL folders. To learn how to manually delete AOL folders, read our help article Manually delete AOL folders in Windows XP/2000/Me/98.
1. Close the AOL Desktop Software.
2. Open Windows Control Panel.
- If you are using Windows XP, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- If you are using Windows 2000, Me or 98, click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click the Add or Remove Programs icon.
4. Click America Online, and then click Change/Remove or Add/Remove.
Note: If AOL Uninstaller (Choose which Products to Remove) or AOL Uninstaller appears in the list, skip to Uninstall the AOL software using AOL Uninstaller.
5. Click to highlight the different versions of the AOL Desktop Software on your computer, and then click Next.
Note: Ensure that the check boxes next to Downloaded files and Filing Cabinet files are selected. This will create backup copies of both these folders.
6. Click Next.
7. Click Finish.
8. Click OK to restart the computer.
9. To reinstall AOL Desktop, check our help article Installing the AOL Desktop Software.
1. Click AOL Uninstaller (Choose which Products to Remove) to highlight it, and then click Change/Remove or Add/Remove.
2. Click Yes to find all versions of the AOL Desktop Software installed on your computer.
Note: If you are not prompted with the AOL Uninstaller window, click the Search for Other Versions of AOL link.
3. Select the versions of the AOL Desktop Software that you wish to remove. In the Select which files you would like to keep (files will be moved to the Desktop) section, select the boxes next to Downloaded Files and Filing Cabinet files, and then click Uninstall.
Note: If you do not have the option to select Downloaded Files and Filing Cabinet files, these files will automatically be saved on the desktop in the Saved on AOL folder.
4. Click Yes to start the uninstallation.
5. If prompted to restart the computer, click OK.
6. To reinstall the AOL Desktop Software, check our help article Installing the AOL Desktop Software.