We recommend that you follow the instructions below; however, if you are unable to uninstall the AOL Desktop Software using the instructions below, you can manually uninstall the AOL Desktop Software by deleting the AOL folders. To learn how to manually delete AOL folders, please refer to our help article Manually delete AOL folders.
1. Close the AOL Desktop Software.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- If you are using Windows 8, you can find the Control Panel by moving the mouse pointer to the top right of the Desktop screen and then clicking on Settings.
If you are using Windows 7 or 8 and have Large icons or Small icons displayed next to View by, skip to Step 4.
- If you are using Windows Vista and Control Panel is set to Classic View, skip to Step 3.
4. Double-click the Programs and Features icon.
5. Click AOL Uninstaller (Choose which Products to Remove), and then click Uninstall/Change.
If you are prompted with the User Account Control window, click Continue or Yes.
- If you are not prompted with the AOL Uninstaller window, click the Search for Older Versions of AOL link.
6. Click Yes.
7. In the Select which files you would like to keep (files will be moved to the Desktop) section, select the check boxes next to Downloaded Files and Filing Cabinet files, and then click Uninstall.
8. Click Yes.
9. When prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Note: In Windows 7, you may see a confirmation window stating that the uninstallation is complete. Click OK and restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
10. To reinstall the AOL Desktop Software, read our help article Install the AOL software.