In order to uninstall AOL Parental Controls, it is important to determine the version of AOL Parental Controls installed on your computer. Follow the instructions given below to determine the version of AOL Parental Controls. You can then choose from the links given at the end of the article to uninstall the version of AOL Parental Controls installed on your computer.
There are various ways in which you can determine the version of AOL Parental Controls installed on your computer. Given below are a couple of ways to identify the exact version of AOL Parental Controls on your computer. You can use any one of the options listed below:
To determine the version of AOL Parental Controls installed on your computer
1. On the Windows taskbar, next to the clock, right-click the AOL Parental Controls icon, and then click About.
- If you don't find the About option, skip to the next section.
- If you are using Windows 7 and don't see the Parental Controls icon next to the clock, click the arrow next to the clock to reveal hidden icons. Please know that you can customize your Windows 7 System Tray. To know how to do so, read our online help article Customize Windows 7 System Tray.
2. This window will list the AOL Parental Controls Version: X.X.X.X, and then make a note of version installed.
3. Click Close.
1. Click Start, and then click Computer/ My Computer.
2. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
3. Double-click Program Files.
4. Double-click Common Files.
5. Double-click the AOL/ aol folder.
6. Double-click the 1XXXXXXXXX folder.
Note: XXXXXXXXX is different for different computers.
7. Double-click the ee folder.
8. Double-click the services folder.
9. Double-click the safetysettings folder.
10. Look for the verX_X_X_X folder, and then make a note of the folder name.
Note: X_X_X_X is the version of AOL Parental Controls installed on your computer. For example, ver3_6_6_1 indicates AOL Parental Controls 3.6 is installed, ver3_2_10_1 indicates that AOL Parental Controls 3.2 is installed, ver2_1_3_1 indicates that AOL Parental Controls 2.1 is installed, etc.
11. Click X to close the window.
Important: If you have saved your password on the AOL Parental Controls software, ensure that you remember your password before you perform the steps given below as uninstalling the Parental Controls software will delete your saved password. If you dont remember your password, we recommend that you change your password before proceeding any further. You will also need to remember the answer to your Account Security Question (ASQ) to be able to change your password. You can change your ASQ if you dont remember the answer to it. For instructions on how to change your password or ASQ, refer to the following online help articles:
- How do I change my password?
- I forgot my AOL Password
- I forgot the answer to my Account Security Question
Find out how to uninstall AOL Parental Controls from your computer by clicking the appropriate link below:
- Uninstall AOL Parental Controls version 3.5 and higher
- Uninstall AOL Parental Controls version 3.2
- Uninstall AOL Parental Controls version 3.0
- Uninstall AOL Parental Controls version 2.5 or 2.6