Manage the privacy of your AIM account. Select an FAQ below to expand more information.
How do I take my conversations off the record?
When you take a conversation off the record, that means it is not stored for you or for the person you are having a conversation with.
Other items to consider when using off the record:
- Any conversation you take off the record will stay off the record for the duration of your conversation. If you sign on, and sign off, the conversation will stay off the record until you choose to take it back on the record.
- When you chat with someone on AIM 8 and go off the record, they'll receive a notification when the chat goes off the record, as well as when it goes back on the record.
- For now, you'll have to manually select each conversation that you want off the record.
To take a conversation off the record follow the steps below:
- Within an ongoing chat window, click the Additional Options drop-down menu and then select Go Off the Record.
- When you are Off the Record, you can tell because your chat window will state that you are. Any messages exchanged while you are off the record will not be saved.
- To return to chat as normal, click the Additional Options drop-down menu and then select Go On the Record.
How do I block or unblock someone?
If you ever need to block a contact on AIM, simply follow the instructions below:
- Within an ongoing chat window, click the Additional Options drop-down menu and select Block This Person.
- If prompted with a popup window, confirm that you want to block the username.
- To unblock someone, open a chat with the person, click the Additional Options drop-down menu and then select Unblock This Person.
How do I clear message history?
If you want to clear chat history for a conversation follow the instructions below:
Note: This will not clear chat history on the other user's AIM client. It will only clear the chat history stored on your own AIM window.
- Start a chat with the person you want to a delete chat history with.
- Click the Additional Options drop-down menu in the top right corner of the chat window and select Clear Chat History.
- Click Yes to confirm.
What is message syncing?
AIM 8 for Windows logs and stores your conversation history (up to a month’s worth) whenever you chat with other people who are also using AIM 8. This allows us to sync your messages across devices. If the other person you’re talking to is using an older version of AIM, or a third-party client, we only store the conversation in the location you’re using it. Your conversation history with those people won’t be available if you switch to AIM desktop from AIM mobile, for example.
Messages from Google chat accounts are synced differently:
- Google: Google saves the other person’s side of the conversation, so when you return to a chat with a Google contact, you may see the other person’s messages but not your own.