Why is AIM shutting down?
We know there are so many loyal fans who have used AIM for decades; and we loved working and building the first chat app of its kind since 1997. Our focus will always be on providing the kind of innovative experiences consumers want. We’re more excited than ever to focus on building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products.
Will there be a replacement product for AIM?
There is not currently a replacement product available for AIM. As we move forward, all of us at AOL (now Oath) are excited to continue bringing you new, iconic products and experiences.
Can I still use AIM between now and December 15?
Yes, AIM will continue to work until the morning of December 15, 2017. After this date, you will no longer be able to access or sign in to AIM services on any platform.
Can I continue to download AIM until December 15?
We will begin removing download links prior to December 15, but existing versions will continue to work until December 15.
What happens to my @aim.com email address?
You will still be able to use your @aim.com email address to send and receive email as usual.
What features are impacted?
All AIM features in AOL Mail will become unavailable. These features are:
- AIM chat
- Contacts screenname field and AIM column in the list view
- Contacts avatar icons
- Sent emails Chat and Text options when clicking on the recipient
- Mail Settings:
- Compose option to "Show AIM presence icon in signature"
- Filters and Alerts ability to send an alert to AIM or mobile phone
- Calendar Settings Default Reminders AIM and Text options, and another link AIM mobile setup
- AIM tab
Can I save my Buddy List?
Unfortunately you are not able to save or export your Buddy List.
What happens to my data?
Your data associated with AIM will be deleted after December 15, 2017.
Can I save my images and files?
Yes, you can manually save images and files to your computer until the morning of December 15, 2017.
Follow the steps below to learn how to manually save your images and files.
- Sign in to the AIM client.
- Open a chat with one of your buddies and scroll through your chat history with that buddy.
- Click the image or file you would like to save. It will open in a new browser tab or window.
- Right click on your image then select the save option.
Can I view and save my chat history?
Yes, your chat history can be viewed and saved in the versions of AIM below. In some cases this may depend on whether you previously disabled the option to save a copy of your chats on your computer or if you or your buddy selected the Go off the record option. Chat logs must be saved before December 15, 2017.
- AIM App (Android and iOS)
- AIM 8.0 and above (Windows)
- AIM for Mac
- The option to save your chat logs is enabled by default.
- Images and files are NOT saved with the chat logs, they must be manually saved. For instructions on how to manually save images and files, refer to our drop-down “Can I save my images and files?”.
- Your chat logs will not be saved for the contacts that you selected the 'Go off the record' option.
- You can view chat logs after logging in to the AIM client until December 15th by clicking the dropdown in the top right corner of the chat window and selecting Open Chat Log.
- After December 15th you will be able to view your saved chat logs by following the steps below. You must have the AIM 8 client installed.
- Click in the search box located in the bottom left corner of your screen, next to the Start button.
- Type AIM Logs and press the Enter key on your keyboard once the results are displayed.
- The AIM Logs folder opens up. Double click on the folder with your screenname.
- Here you’ll see a file for each of the screennames or groups on your Buddy List with a saved conversation. Double click on the one you want to open to view the log of your conversation. The files will continue to be available here until you delete them.
- Click on the spotlight icon on the menu bar in the top right corner of your desktop.
- Type AIM Logs in the search bar of the window that appears.
- Double click on the folder called AIM Logs.
- Double click on the folder with your screenname.
- Here you’ll see a file for each of the screennames on your Buddy List with a saved conversation. Double click on the one you want to open to view the log of your conversation. The files will continue to be available here until you delete them.