Welcome to AIM for Desktop! AIM is an online communication service that lets you talk with friends, family, or coworkers in real time. We’re here to help you find what you’re looking for. Click a heading below to expand your question.
What features can I find in AIM?
- Never miss a message: When you’re with a friend who’s also using AIM, your message history is stored and synced so you won’t miss a thing no matter how you are accessing AIM: web, desktop, mobile.
- Party/ Plan: Group chat with friends or collaborate with coworkers. AIM gives you a simple and fun way to talk and share with the groups of people that matter most.
- File transfers for pictures and documents.
Who can use the AIM service?
AIM can be used by anyone (at least 13 years old) with a computer and internet connection.
What is the cost of the AIM service?
AIM is completely free!
How do I install AIM?
Please refer to our help article AIM for Desktop: Install / Uninstall FAQs for instructions on how to install AIM on your computer.
What are the minimum system requirements for AIM?
Please ensure that your computer meets the system requirements mentioned below before you install the latest version of AIM. If you install AIM on a computer that doesn't meet the system requirements, you may experience problems with AIM or your computer.
- Pentium III-equivalent processor or better
- 128 MB of RAM (256 MB of RAM recommended for Enhanced IM features)
- 20 MB of free hard drive space
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
- 800x600 minimum screen resolution, 1024x768 recommended
- Microsoft Windows XP or later, Mac OSX 10.6 or later
- Dial-up, LAN, or broadband connection
Note: Voice/Talk features require a compatible sound card, microphone and speakers. Video Chat requires a compatible sound card, microphone, speakers and webcam. To view expressions and IM history, Adobe Flash Player is required.
Can I access AIM without downloading anything?
Yes! To access AIM through your web browser, just visit aim.com and sign in. The AIM web app is free and allows you to access AIM from any capable computer with an internet connection. For more information, please see our AIM.com help section.
How do I know which version of AIM I have?
To find out the version of AIM you are using follow the steps below.
- Click Help or Options from your Buddy List window.
- Select About AIM. The About AIM window will provide you with the version.
Where can I provide feedback for AIM?
We love hearing from you! Your feedback helps us improve AIM.
Here's how to share your ideas with us:
- On the Buddy List window, click Help.
- Select Feedback.
- Select the type of feedback you’d like to leave and send us your comments!