Select any issue or question below to expand further instructions. You may wish to print or save a copy of this page, as it may not remain visible as you go through the suggested steps.
Before you start
You'll need to know which version of the Microsoft Windows operating system is installed on your computer. You can find this information by following these instructions: Determining your version of Microsoft Windows
Issues installing AIM software
If you're unable to install the AIM software, try the solutions given below to resolve the issue. After trying the first solution, check whether you can install the AIM software. If you're still unable to install the AIM software, continue using the suggested solutions until the problem is fixed.
- Refer to our help article AIM for Desktop: Overview in order to check that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for AIM
- Enable only essential startup programs
- Run ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter on your hard drive
- Contact your computer manufacturer
The issue you're facing is most likely not caused by the AIM software. We recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer, or if your computer is no longer under warranty, a local computer repair shop or technician, for further assistance. Let the computer manufacturer/technician know about the issue. There are many programs that AIM requires to deliver content to your computer. All software programs are highly dependent on the computer's operating system and other applications to work properly. It appears that one of the following programs/applications may be the cause of the issue:
- The operating system
- Several media players
- Many text editors and text viewers
- Microsoft Internet Explorer and other web browsers
Trouble viewing buddies on my Buddy List window (AIM 7 only)
You may not see buddies on your AIM Buddy List window for any number of reasons. Here are some solutions to try:
- Expand Your Buddy Group:
Each buddy group has a number next to it to indicate how many of your buddies are online, for example: Co-Workers 23/39. To expand your buddy group, click the arrow next to the group so it points down. This should display every buddy in that group.
- Verify Your Buddies Are Not Using The Invisibility Feature:
AIM includes an invisibility feature that keeps others from seeing when you're online. Contact your buddies and ask them to check their AIM settings to ensure they don't have this invisibility feature turned on. Is it possible that all of your buddies are offline or invisible at this time? It probably depends on how many buddies you have.
- Verify You Aren't Blocking Your Buddies:
If you're blocking your buddies so they cannot see you, you will not be able to see them. Here's how to verify you're not blocking your buddies:
- In the top-right corner of your Buddy List window click Menu or Options (depending on which version of AIM 7 you're using.
- Click Settings.
- Click Privacy.
- Under Who can IM me and see me online: check if you have your buddies blocked and unblock them by clicking remove.
- Click Save.
- Verify Your Buddies Are Not Blocking You:
Contact your buddies and ask them to check their AIM settings to make sure they aren't blocking your Username from viewing them online.
- Ensure That All Your Buddies Are Displayed On Your Buddy List:
If you're accessing AIM through AOL software, ensure that all your buddies and buddy groups are displayed on your Buddy List:
- At the top of your Buddy List window, click Show Everyone.
- Move your pointer over Buddy List Settings and make sure A-Z order is not checked. If there is a check next to A-Z order, click on it to remove the check.
Trouble installing AIM software because the current Username is already registered
You may not be able to register your Username and download AIM for one of two reasons. After trying the first solution, check to see if you can register your Username and download AIM. If you're still unable to download AIM, continue to the next solution to resolve the issue.
- Clear cookies, cache, history and footprints in your browser
- Download and Install the AIM Software Without Registering
This enables you to download the AIM software without having to register your Username. Install the AIM software on your computer as you normally would, then sign into AIM using your current Username.
Where did my SuperBuddy icon go?
AIM versions 7.0 and higher no longer support SuperBuddies. Check out our AIM for Desktop: Profile and Settings article on how to upload a picture or create a WeeMee icon (AIM 7.5 only).
Should I receive an email confirmation for my new AIM account?
Often, the confirmation email has been automatically routed to your email spam/junk folder. Double check your spam/junk to ensure it’s not there. Because mail controls vary for each mail provider, please contact your provider for information on how to access your spam/junk folder.
I received an invalid password message
We're sorry that you're receiving an Invalid Password message when signing into AIM. To resolve this issue, please try the solutions given below in the order that they are listed.
Verify that you entered your Username and password correctly
On the AIM sign-in screen, please verify whether you've entered your Username and password correctly. Ensure that @aol.com is not included in or along with your Username.
- AOL passwords are case sensitive. While entering your password, please verify that the Caps Lock on your keyboard is not turned on and that Num Lock is turned on.
- If you want to save your Username and password to your browser, please read our online help article Account Management: Managing your AOL Password
Check your keyboard connection and restart your computer
Checking your keyboard connection and restarting the computer will ensure that the keyboard is plugged in properly and that the computer is correctly recognizing the keyboard.
- Shut down your computer
- Unplug the keyboard cord.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Plug in the keyboard cord.
- Turn on your computer.
Test your keyboard with another program
Using your keyboard with another program will help you verify whether the keyboard is working properly.
- Click Start, select All Programs or Programs, select Accessories, and then click Notepad.
- Type your password in the notepad window that opens.
- Verify that your password is displayed correctly.
Note: If no text or incorrect text appears, the issue might be with your keyboard. You can either use another keyboard or contact the computer manufacturer for further assistance. Please refer to the documentation that came with your hardware for contact information.
- Click the File menu, and then click Exit.
- Click No.
Reset your password
You can reset your AIM password by following these instructions: AIM for Desktop: Usernames, Passwords and Sign on Settings
Why is AIM responding slowly?
If you find that AIM is running slowly on your computer, please attempt the following solutions in order to resolve the problem.
My AIM Enhanced IM features aren’t working correctly
If you encounter a problem with any Enhanced IM features such as talk, video, instant images, or file transfers, please try the solutions below in order to resolve your issue.
Note: AIM file transfers have a 4 GB limit and interlaced .PNG images are not supported.
- Update your router's firmware
There is a known Enhanced IM issue with some routers that may be resolved by downloading and installing the firmware updates for your router. Please contact your router manufacturer for information on available firmware updates.
Note: If you're able to connect to the internet directly (without your router) and use Enhanced IM features, this may verify that your router is causing the issue.
- Verify your PC meets the minimum system requirements for AIM
- Install or update to the latest version of AIM
Is there a way to disable AIM advertisements?
AIM is free and available to millions of users. In order to keep AIM free for everybody, different advertisers sponsor AIM. There is no way to disable the advertisements. If you see an advertisement that you like, you can click on it for additional information.