There are many different ways that you can take AIM with you when you step away from your computer. Click a heading below to learn more about how you can stay connected on the go.
AIM Mobile Options
- AIM App for iOS and Android: The best and easiest way to take AIM with you is by downloading the AIM app for iOS or Android. Learn more at mobile.aol.com.
- IM Forwarding: You can forward instant messages to your cell phone when you're away from your computer. Simply receive and respond to IMs using text messaging directly from your phone! Learn more and register for IM Forwarding here.
- IM to Mobile: Another way to reach your buddies when they are away from their computers is to add their mobile numbers to your Buddy List. The phone numbers appear online just like other buddies on your Buddy List. When you send them IMs, the messages are transformed into text messages, which they receive on their mobile phones. Learn more and manage your settings here.
Note: You can be signed in to AIM using multiple devices (computers and mobile devices) at the same time. When you sign out from a device, you are signed out from that device only. Messages are received on all devices to which you have signed in to AIM.
IM Forwarding vs. AIM App
IM Forwarding (Instant Message Forwarding) is different from the AIM App in a few ways.
With IM Forwarding, your instant messages are sent to your mobile phone when you're signed out of AIM on your computer. These IMs are sent as text messages. Depending on your phone and wireless service provider, you may or may not be able to reply to these messages. Also, with IM Forwarding you can't see your Buddy List, set Buddy Alerts, or use any other AIM features from your phone.
With the AIM mobile app, you're using a full version of AIM. Along with sending and receiving instant messages, you can see and modify your Buddy List, set your phone to alert you when buddies come online, initiate conversations, and block messages. Interested? Then please visit AIM.com and look for your brand of device along the bottom of the page. For example, AIM for iPhone, AIM for iPad, or AIM for Android.
If you're using a mobile version of AIM, your friends get a note that their IMs are going to your phone. They also see a Mobile Device icon next to your Username both in their Buddy List window and in the conversation window.
- Your mobile service provider may charge you for these and other text messages that you send or receive. Please consult your provider regarding your plan.
- Learn how to send and receive IMs using IM Forwarding on your mobile device at IM Forwarding.
- To change your mobile settings, please visit your mobile settings from your mobile device.
About Mobile Device Icons
If you notice a blue mobile device icon next to your contact's name, that means they're using IM Forwarding or AIM Mobile TXT. The purpose of the icon is to let you know that these users are using mobile devices with limited messaging capabilities. This helps to set the expectation that messages may take longer to type or be shorter in length. If your contacts are using AIM Mobile Apps, or the New AIM you won't see mobile device icons next to their Usernames.
Will AIM for Mobile work on my device?
Check the system requirements below to determine whether the AIM App will work on your device:
Requires Android version 5.0 and up.
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
For more information please refer to the following links, depending on your device:
- AIM Mobile for iOS devices: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aim-chat-free-text-photo-share/id281704574?mt=8
- AIM Mobile for Android devices: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aol.mobile.aim&hl=en