Click a heading below to learn about the different ways to receive AIM messages as texts to your mobile device.
To set up IM Forwarding, visit IM Forwarding and click Register/ Manage your mobile device.
Note: With IM Forwarding, you cannot initiate a new IM conversation. For that, you need to install an AIM Mobile app on your device. Interested? If so, please visit AIM.com and look for your device along the bottom of the page. For example, AIM for iPhone, AIM for iPad, or AIM for Android.
To learn more about IM Forwarding options, click to expand the headings below.
Does my wireless carrier support IM Forwarding?
As long as your carrier supports two-way IMing, you can reply to IMs the same way you'd reply to a text. Type your reply on your mobile phone and send it. Below is a list of carriers that support receiving and replying to IMs:
|Appalachian Wireless||Immix Wireless|
|Cincinnati Bell||United Wireless|
|Cox TMI Wireless||US Cellular|
|GCI/Alaska DigiTel||Virgin Mobile|
|Golden State Cellular||West Central|
|Google Voice||Metro PCS|
Charges: While AOL won't charge you a penny, mobile service providers may charge to deliver texts to a mobile device. Check your provider's plan for details.
About IM Forwarding From Mobile Devices
If you register for IM Forwarding, it will be activated only after you sign out of AIM from all other devices.
To force other sessions to disconnect:
- Launch an AIM session on your computer or mobile device as you normally would. If you are signed in to other devices, you will receive an IM telling you that you are signed in to AIM with the same Username in multiple locations.
- Respond to the IM: type 1, and send the message.
- Your AIM Username will be signed out from all other computers and mobile devices.
How do I set up IM Forwarding in AIM?
Receive Instant Messages (IMs) from your contacts even when you aren't signed in to AIM. Register your mobile device and start receiving IMs now.
Set up IM Forwarding from AIM.com:
Note: You can stop receiving IMs to your mobile device at any time by unchecking Forward IMs to my phone in the mobile settings page.
- Go to IM Forwarding.
- Click Register/ Manage your mobile device.
- Select which account you'd like to sign in with.
- Enter your Username and Password and click Sign In
- Click Register for IM Forwarding.
- Enter your phone number and click Register.
- Enter the confirmation code that was texted to your phone and click Confirm.
- Click Done.
Set up IM Forwarding in AIM 8
Note: You can stop receiving IMs to your mobile device at any time by unchecking Enable IM Forwarding Text Messaging settings page.
- On the Buddy List window, click File(Windows) or the Menu icon (Mac), and then click Text Messaging.
- Click Register a Mobile Device.
- Enter your phone number, and click Send Code Now.
- You will receive a text message that says, "Please enter this confirmation code on your computer to complete your phone registration with AOL Mobile." Enter the confirmation code that you received and click Confirm.
- Your registration is complete and your mobile number will now appear in your Text Messaging window. Click Edit to view the settings for your device.
Set up IM Forwarding via Text Message
To enable IM Forwarding via text message, text the word ONALL to 265019.
Stop IM Forwarding and Blocking users
Delete your Mobile Device from AIM Text Messaging
Your mobile device is now no longer connected to AIM.
- On the Buddy List window, click File(Windows) or the Menu icon (Mac), and then click Text Messaging.
- Click the + sign next to your mobile device number.
- Click Delete next to Text Messaging Settings.
- Confirm that you want to remove the settings for your mobile device.
Stop IM Forwarding via Text Message
To stop IM Forwarding to your mobile device via text message, text the word STOPALL to 265022. To complete the process, visit AIM.com to block all future text messages from AOL.
Block an individual user from sending you IMs as text messages
To block an individual sender only, reply to the text message with the word BLOCK. Messages from this user will no longer be sent to your mobile device as a text message.
AIM Mobile TXT
The Mobile AIM service works like your text messaging service. Instead of using a mobile phone number, you receive text messages in your Inbox from short codes. These short codes correspond to other AIM users. When using AIM TXT, ensure that the IM Short code you sent the message to corresponds with the IM short code assigned to your buddy. If the IM short code is not correct, your instant message is being sent to the wrong buddy. The IM short code for your buddy should not change unless you delete that buddy's Username and then add it again at another time. IM short codes are recycled, so when you delete a buddy, that buddy's previous IM short code could be reassigned to a new buddy in your Mobile Device. If you are replying to a message from a user who is not in your Mobile Device group, you will be sending those messages through the Easy Reply short codes. Because these short codes are temporary and reassigned as needed, it is possible to reply to the wrong user by mistake.
Short codes are special numbers -- significantly shorter than full telephone numbers. They are designed to be shorter to read out and easier to remember than a normal length telephone number. While similar to telephone numbers, they are unique to each network. However, providers generally have agreements to ensure they are allocated identically. AOL short codes generally start with 265XXX.
To learn more about using AIM TXT click to expand the headings below.
IM functions supported by AIM® TXT
The following AIM functions are supported by AIM TXT:
AIM TXT Commands
Status Message (view or update)
How do I get AIM TXT on my mobile device?
It's very simple! Type AIM, and then send it to 246246 to get a complete list of AIM TXT commands (If you do not log in, you will see a limited menu - the full menu is available after you log in). For each command, you can either use the number associated with the command or type the full command.
For example: You can either use send<Username> <message> to 246246. Or, you can use 3<Username> <message> to 246246. (Both send and 3 are valid AIM TXT commands.)
Why did I receive an error message when I tried to send a text message?
Here's a list of possible texting errors, the reasons why you might see one and ways to avoid getting them.
- Uh-oh! That number won’t work. Please make sure it’s a valid US mobile number from a supported provider, and not a landline.
- Valid number: Typos account for most errors. Did you misdial? The phone number you text must be a US number. (10 digits including the area code, for example, 999-333-5555).
- Supported carrier: You may be sending a text message to a mobile carrier that's not supported yet.
- Landline or Virtual Number: Did you dial a hard-wired office or home phone? Only mobile phones can receive texts. Are you texting an app? Some providers now offer apps for texting, but we don't yet support sending text messages to virtual phone numbers.
- Blocking: You might be texting someone's company-provided phone on the Sprint network. Some companies set up their company-provided phones to block this type of text messaging. If this is the case, try suggesting that your friends upgrade their messaging plans, if they can, by calling their carriers directly.
- *Metro PCS: Messaging is only supported on select Metro PCS plans. If you use Metro PCS and you run into issues sending or receiving messages via AOL, please contact Metro PCS for more information.
- Your contact may have opted out of receiving text messages from AOL. If you think this might be the case, it's easy to fix. Ask your friend to try one of the following options:
- If you receive the following error message: "xxxxxxxxx is blocked by you, and cannot receive your IM," you may need to adjust your settings.
- You can add a mobile phone number to your Buddy List Window
- You can also go to aim.com/settings and select Everyone. Anyone who has my Username.
- Oops, you're not signed in!
- Signing in to AOL Mail also signs you in to AIM. If you sign out of AIM in your AOL Mail account, you'll need to sign back in before sending text messages.
I tried sending an IM to a mobile device but the intended recipient did not receive the message.
If you tried sending an IM to a mobile device but the person you sent it to didn't get the message, try these solutions:
- Does your buddy's carrier allow him/her to send and receive text messages? If the carrier doesn't allow text messaging, your buddy won't get your IM.
Make sure the message was sent to the correct mobile number. Verify you have the correct phone number in your Buddy List.
- Did the intended recipient unintentionally block incoming text messages from AOL? Have your buddy text on to 265019.
- Did your buddy unintentionally block your Username from sending messages to his/her mobile phone? Have the recipient text unblock and your Username to 265019.
- Are you trying to send this person an IM Forwarded message? Have your buddy check his/her IM Forwarding settings by signing into https://settings.aim.com/en-us/mobile and verifying that the appropriate options are selected.
How do I sign into AIM TXT?
Logging into AIM TXT is easy! But before you proceed, make sure you have a valid AIM or AOL Username and password. Visit https://new.aol.com/productsweb/ to open a new account today.
You may choose any of the following ways to sign into AIM TXT:
- Send login, your Username, and your password (for example: login Racingmat47 iheartracing) to 246246 (aimaim).
- Send 1, your Username and your password (for example: 1 Racingmat47 iheartracing) to 246246.
- Send login to 246246. AIM TXT will reply with your Username and prompt you to reply with your password.
- If you have multiple Usernames, send login to 246246. AIM TXT will reply with a list of your Usernames. You will be prompted to reply with the phone number associated with the Username you wish to log into. Once you send that number, you'll receive a message requesting your password.
Note: Before using all the commands below to interact with your buddies and buddy list, ensure that you've signed into AIM TXT with your Username and password.
How do I sign out of AIM TXT?
It's very simple! Send logout to 246246.
How do I switch Usernames using AIM TXT?
If you want to switch to a different Username, send switch to 246246. Once you receive a message with a list of your Usernames, select the Username you wish to log into by typing and sending the number associated with that Username. You will receive a message prompting you for your password. Once you reply to that message with your password, you'll be able to log in.
How do I send Instant Messages with AIM TXT?
Before using AIM TXT, you'll need to sign in to AIM TXT.
Sending an Instant Message (IM) with AIM TXT is super easy! Text send, or 3, or im, to the Username you wish to IM, and then your message. For example: send chattingchuck Hi Chuck! to 246246.
If the IM is not delivered, you'll receive a message saying, "username" is not available.
If the IM is successfully delivered, you will not receive a response from AIM TXT. If your buddy replies to your message, the message will arrive from a different short code, 265061, for example; to which you can continue replying back and forth.
How do I view my Buddy List on AIM TXT?
With AIM TXT, you can quickly see which of your buddies are online. Simply text bl or 7 to 246246 to see which buddies are available in your Mobile Device group. Your Mobile Device group is a group within your AIM Buddy List that automatically loads with the first 25 friends in your AIM Buddy List. Don't worry! If we've missed a buddy, you can always add them in later. If your buddies are offline, they won't appear in your AIM TXT Buddy List.
How do I add a buddy to my AIM TXT Buddy List?
Would you like to add more buddies into your mobile device group? No problem! Text add and the Username you'd like to add to 246246. Your new buddy will be added to the Mobile Device group in your AIM Buddy List.
How do I delete a buddy from my Buddy List on AIM TXT?
Send a text message to 246246. In the body of the text message, type del followed by the Username you want to delete. This buddy will be deleted from the Mobile Device group in your AIM Buddy List.
How do I set a Status Message on AIM TXT?
Status messages are a great way to broadcast your thoughts and feelings to your buddies. With AIM TXT, you can now let your buddies know how you are feeling while you're on the go! All it takes is a simple text message to 246246. In the body of the message, type status and the message you'd like to share, for example, "Status I had a blast at the concert tonight!"
To view your Status Message, send a text message to 246246 with status or stat in the body of the message. To see an example of how to set a Status Message, click the Next or Autoplay button on the image given below.
Note: If your availability is set to Away, your new Status Message will replace your away message.
How do I set my status to Available? (Avail)
Change your availability to Avail, if you are online and ready to chat with your buddies.
To change your availability to Avail, send a text message to 246246 by typing either Avail or 4 in the body. This will change your availability to Avail without changing your status message.
To change your availability to Avail and update your Status Message, send a text message to 246246 by typing either Avail or 4 in the body followed by your new Status Message.
How do I set my status to Away?
Change your availability to Away, if you are not able to respond to your buddies for a while.
To change your availability to Away, send a text message to 246246 by typing either Away or 5 in the body. This will change your availability to Away without changing your Status Message.
To update your availability to Away, and update your Status Message, send a text message to 246246 by typing either Away or 5 in the body followed by your new Status Message.
How do I set my status to Invisible? (Invis)
Change your availability to Invis, if you want to stay online, but do not wish to appear online to your buddies.
To change your availability to Invis, send a text message to 246246 by typing either Invis or 6 in the body. This will change your availability to Invis without changing your Status Message.
To change your availability to Invis and update your Status Message, send a text message to 246246 by typing either Invis or 6 in the body followed by your new Status Message.