AOL Real Estate provides the latest real estate news, property listings, rental listings, calculators, guides and home financing information. There’s a wealth of information on our site that will help you with buying or selling a home, searching for apartments, calculating ownership costs or figuring out home financing.
Select a heading below to expand the FAQs.
AOL Real Estate FAQs
What does AOL Real Estate offer?
The primary feature found on AOL Real Estate is the easy-to-use home listings search. You can customize this search to fit your needs. To access each individual search, click one of the links below:
- New Homes – Allows you to search for new homes in a desired location. You can also customize this search with specific options, depending on your search needs for new homes.
- Homes for Sale – Lets you search for existing homes that are listed for sale. AOL Real Estate provides the ability to search for existing homes for sale from all over the United States.
- Foreclosures – A foreclosure is the action taken by a creditor to regain a property if the lender defaults on mortgage payments. The creditor then offers the home up for sale, usually at a discounted rate.
- Home Values–AOL Real Estate provides the ability to search for Home Values based on public record data on properties across the entire United States. In addition, AOL Real Estate gives you the unique ability to search Recently Sold properties (which have sold in the last six months).
In addition to home listings, AOL Real Estate offers great information in the form of guides. We have guides that cover many topics. Click on one of the topics below to access the corresponding guide:
If you’re curious about how much it would cost you to rent or buy a home, how much you could afford to buy, or how much a mortgage would cost – well, you’re in luck! AOL Real Estate has several handy calculators that can help you figure out the math. Click one of the links below to access the corresponding calculator:
Home financing information
AOL Real Estate also offers useful home financing information. Each page below features different functionality or information that can guide you through the economic side of things – financing, equity, credit scores and more:
AOL Real Estate allows you to search for apartments and rental listings. In addition, you can perform a narrower search to meet your specific needs by clicking any one of the following links on AOL Real Estate:
- Apartment Listings – Search for available rentals in your area.
- Roommates – Search for roommates in your area. This is a great idea if you’re looking to split costs on a rental property.
- Short-term Rentals – Search for rentals that allow short-term contracts. This is useful if you’re looking to stay in an area for a brief period of time.
Searching for property listings on AOL Real Estate
To perform an easy and effective search for homes on AOL Real Estate, in the search field labeled “Find Your Perfect Home,” type in a location (city, state or ZIP code) and click Search. Your initial results will most likely be very broad. We highly encourage you refine your search further to get the most relevant results.
You may use any one of the following options for refining your search to get the best results. For options that are selectable, the number of properties that have that option are displayed in parenthesis next to the option.
- Include Nearby Areas – Shows any nearby areas that you might want to include in your search. Based on ZIP code.
- Price Range – Allows you to set a custom price range by entering values in the fields provided. Once you have entered a price range, click Update to update the displayed property listings. Only property listings that fall in the specified range will display.
- Bedrooms – Allows you to select the amount of bedrooms you’re looking for in a house. Select from the available options. As soon as you select an option, the property listings will automatically update.
- Bathrooms – Allows you to select the amount of bathrooms you’re looking for in a house. Click the drop-down menu and select from the available options. As soon as you select an option, the property listings will automatically update.
- Property Status – This is set to the selection you initially made by default. You can select to filter Homes For Sale, New Homes, Foreclosures, Recently Sold or Not For Sale. Any changes/selections you make in this section will cause the property listing results to update automatically.
- Property Type – You can use the check boxes to filter through Single Family, Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Coop, Multi Family Home, (Mfd) Mobile, Farm/Ranches and Land. Any changes/selections you make in this section will cause the property listing results to update automatically.
- Listing Activity
- Property Features
- Square Feet – Allows you to set a custom square footage range by clicking to select on of the square footage ranges provided. Once you have selected a custom square footage range, click Update to update the displayed property listings. Only property listings that fall in the specified range will display. Check the Include unspecified check box to include any property listings that do not have square footage specified.
- Advanced Search – Advanced Search allows you to run a search using the filters above, but at once instead of customizing on the fly. select multiple criteria all from all the different facets all at once and perform a very targeted search without having to click each facet at once.
Searching for property listings using multiple ZIP codes
You can search for property listings using multiple ZIP codes on AOL Real Estate, so long as those ZIP codes border each other. To do so, please follow the instructions below:
- Enter the initial ZIP code and click Submit.
- Click Include Nearby Areas, found under Location on the left-hand side of the page. A list of nearby ZIP codes will display.
- Select the ZIP codes you want to add to your search and click Search. Your search results will display property listings within the selected ZIP codes.
Creating saved searches on AOL Real Estate
Tired of always re-entering a full search when you visit AOL Real Estate? Well, tire no more! We’ve implemented easy-to-use saved searches and saved listings features to make your real estate search experience that much more painless.
Also, if you’re signed in to the AOL service, additional options will be available:
- Email alerts for changes to saved property listings
- Email alerts for featured listings from your saved property searches
Note: To make sure your saved searches and listings are always available, please sign in before saving. If you’re not signed in, the data will save locally and could possibly be erased, removing any listings or searches that you’ve saved.
Saving a search
- On the AOL Real Estate homepage, click Saved Searches (located at the top of the page).
- Under My Saved Searches, fill out the following:
- Name of the search
- Location for the search
- Price Range
- Square Footage
- Days On Market
- Sales Type – Check any of the following check boxes: Resale Homes, Foreclosures, New Homes
- Property Type – Check any of the following check boxes: Single Family, Townhome, Condo, Land, Mobile, Farm, Multi Family, Misc, Unspecified
- Advanced Features – Photos Only
- If you’re signed in to the AOL service, you’ll have the option to sign up for email alerts:
- Select Never, Daily, Weekly, Monthly from the Email Me drop-down menu. The saved search results will be emailed to you on the basis that you choose.
- Once you’re done filling out the search, click Save. The search will now appear under My Saved Searches.
- To use the saved search, click Run this search now.
- You can also Edit or Delete the search:
- To edit, click the Edit link and change any available options.
- To delete, click the Delete link. A pop-up will prompt you if you’re sure you want to delete. To delete, click Yes. To keep the saved search, click No.
Saving a property listing
- Navigate to the desired property listing.
- Under the address and basic property listing information, click Save (has a blue folder + icon next to it).
- The property listing is now saved. To access it quickly again, click Saved Listings at the top of the page.
- If you would like to set up an alert for a saved listing, navigate to the Saved Listings page and click Set alert at the top of the desired listing. The Editing Alert section will expand, allowing you to set conditions for when you want to be alerted: if the price changes, if photos are added or if the listing status changes.
- Click Save to save any changes or Cancel to exit without saving.
Contacting a real estate agent through AOL Real Estate
So, you’ve being browsing AOL Real Estate and you’d like to contact a real estate agent about a specific property that you’ve seen and are interested in. But how? What should you do? Read on.
Many of our listings have contact information for agents. To contact a real estate agent, click Email Agent, found on the right-hand side of the page. This will cause a form to display. From here:
- Enter your First Name and Last Name.
- Enter your Email.
- Enter your Phone Number (optional).
- Select the Type of Information you’re looking for from the drop-down menu.
- Enter any Questions & Comments you may have. This will auto-populate with some basic information, based on the listingyou’re currently viewing. You should keep this basic information intact to make it easier for the real estate agent you’re contacting to track listings.
- Select your Preferred Response Time from the drop-down menu. This is when you want the real estate agent to contact you back.
- Select your Preferred Contact Time from the drop-down menu. This is the time of day you would be comfortable with the real estate agent contacting you.
- Select your Estimated Timeframe for Buying or Selling from the drop-down menu. This will give the real estate agent a general idea on when you’re looking to buy or sell a home.
- Once you’re done, click Send. You’re all set!
Finding a contractor on AOL Real Estate through ServiceMagic
Want to find a contractor? AOL Real Estate works with ServiceMagic to provide contractor listings. If you’re looking for a specific contractor or for more information on available contracting services, visit www.servicemagic.com. Make sure to tell them we sent you!
AOL Real Estate Customer Service Contact Information
You can contact AOL Real Estate customer service any time at 1-800-878-4166.
Property Listing FAQs
Why are my property listings not showing up on AOL Real Estate?
In order for your property listings to appear on AOL Real Estate, you or your real estate broker will need to log in to their ListHub account and subscribe to the AOL feed through the Channels tab. Once subscribed, the office's property listings will appear on AOL Real Estate within 72 hours.
If your real estate broker has already subscribed to the AOL feed through ListHub and your property listing is still not appearing, please troubleshoot using the information below:
- Make sure your property listing is labeled as a residential listing (single family home, condo, town home, detached home, land or rental).
- Was the box on the property listing sheet for IDX, Internet or web checked Yes?If it was not marked yes, the property listing will not appear on the site.
- Is the property listing pending sale or contingent?Typically, only active homes (i.e., those not pending sale) are displayed.
- If applicable, make sure your broker signed the Broker Consent Form with the MLS to approve the posting of property listings to the Internet.
If you have gone through the list above and your property listing is still not displaying, please contact our Customer Care department at 1-800-878-4166.
Why is my property listing appearing twice in the search results?
If your property listing has been entered into more than 1 MLS system, it will appear more than once in the AOL Real Estate search results. In order for the duplicate property listing to be removed, the status of one of the property listings needs to be changed in one of the MLS systems from active to closed, pending or contingent. Alternatively, it can be marked as No in the Internet/Public Display field. If the information has recently been updated in your MLS system, please be advised that it can take up to 72 hours for new information to reflect on AOL Real Estate.
How do I remove my property listing from the AOL Real Estate search results?
To remove all of an office’s property listings from AOL Real Estate, the office broker would need to log into their ListHub account and unsubscribe from the AOL feed through the Channels tab. Once unsubscribed, the office’s property listings will be removed from AOL Real Estate within 1 business day.
To remove an individual property listing from AOL Real Estate, the status of the property listing needs to be changed from active to closed, pending or contingent in the MLS. If the information has recently been updated in your MLS system, please be advised that it can take up to 1 business day for this information to reflect on AOL Real Estate.
Why is my property listing showing the incorrect bathroom count?
There are a number of ways that the bathroom count may be calculated to display on property listings, dependent on the MLS that the property listing was entered into. To determine whether your property listing is displaying the correct bath count on the Search Results Page, click on the property listing to open the details page and review the bathroom breakdown under the Property Features section. If the information displayed here is correct, then the summary count is correct for your MLS area. If the information displayed in the Property Features section is incorrect, please verify that the information is displayed correctly in your MLS. Please note that if you need to make changes to the information in your MLS, this information will automatically update and appear on AOL Real Estate within 1 business day. If the information is correct in the MLS, please contact Customer Care at 1-800-878-4166 for further assistance.
Why is the school information on my property listing incorrect?
The school information displayed on your property listing is downloaded from your local MLS. If it’s incorrect, please verify that the information appears correctly in your MLS. If the information needs to be or has recently been updated in your MLS system, please be advised that it can take up to 1 business day for the new information to reflect on AOL Real Estate. If the information is appearing correctly in your MLS, please contact our Customer Care department at 1-800-878-4166.
Why does my property listing have incorrect or missing property features?
The property features displayed on your property listing are downloaded from your local MLS. If there is any information that is incorrect or missing, please verify that the information appears correctly in your MLS. If the information needs to be or has recently been updated in your MLS system, please be advised that it can take up to 1 business day for the new information to reflect on AOL Real Estate. If the information is appearing correctly in your MLS, please contact our Customer Care department at 1-800-878-4166.
Why does my property listing appear in the wrong city?
The AOL Real Estate search interface uses ZIP codes as assigned by the United States Postal Service. If your property listing is not searchable by ZIP code, please visit http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown_zip.jsp to verify that the ZIP code displayed on the property listing is an actual ZIP code for the city you want it to display in. If the information has recently been updated in your MLS system, please be advised that it can take up to 1 business day for the new information to reflect on AOL Real Estate.
When will changes made on a listing in the MLS appear on AOL Real Estate?
Property listing changes are sent to AOL Real Estate daily. Any changes that you make to your property listing should appear on AOL Real Estate within 1 business day of the change being made.
I am the co-listing agent for my property listing. Why isn't my name showing up?
ListHub automatically pulls property listing information from the local participating MLS board along with the information of the primary listing agent associated with those property listings. We are only able to attach a property listing to one agent as the system pulls only the information of the primary agent listed in MLS. If you would like to have the listing linked to your contact information, the property listing would need to be updated in the MLS to reflect you as the primary listing agent.
I am the home seller. How can i list my property on AOL Real Estate?
"For Sale by Owner" properties cannot be directly uploaded onto the site. In order for property listings to be displayed in a search, they must be entered into an MLS and marked to display on the internet. Please be advised that we show only active residential listings from most MLSs; therefore, if your listing is commercial, pending, or marked exclusive agency, it will not display. There is no charge to download and display the basic listing information from the MLS – this would include up to 4 images and the brokerage information.
This is one of the many advantages of working with a professional REALTOR® in the home buying or selling process. Please contact a local REALTOR® for further assistance or information.
How are home values determined?
The property-related information used in estimating home value is obtained from public records and other sources. While such information is thought to be reliable, it is not guaranteed and should be independently verified. Properties labeled "Not for Sale" are classified as such either because we do not have a record of such properties currently being for sale or because we are not permitted, by contract, law, or otherwise, to designate such properties as currently for sale. For the most accurate and up to date status of this or any other property, please contact a REALTOR.