AV is a video chat service from AOL that takes advantage of link sharing and social networks to dodge requiring a login at all. Users can chat simultaneously with up to three friends, family members or colleagues using the AV by AIM service.
Select a heading below to expand FAQs for more information.
Do I need an AIM Account to use AV?
Nope! That's one of the great things about AV. Anyone can use it on any browser. There is no account or sign-up needed. All that is required to use AV is a computer and an internet connection. Of course if you want to video chat, you'll need a webcam too.
How do I invite friends to join me in an AV chat?
You can select friends to invite through Facebook and AIM, or you can simply copy the magic link and send it to your friends any which way you like. Here's how:
- Go to http://www.aol.com/av/
- Check I'm at least 13 years old by clicking on it.
- Click Start a video Chat.
- Next to the magic link, click Copy.
- Once you've copied the link, it will look like this:
- Now, you can paste that link into an email, an IM, or just about anywhere! Invite up to three people to join your video chat session. Once they click on the link you sent them, they will magically appear in the video chat window.
- Under the magic link, click AIM.
- Click on up to 3 of your AIM buddies.
- Click Send invites.
- Click the X in the upper right corner of the invite window to close it and start chatting.
- Under the magic link, click Facebook.
- Click Send.
- Select up to three friends to send an invite to. You can type in their names and click on them, or select from the list of friends you recently shared with by clicking on them.
- Once you've picked the people you'd like to invite, you can fill out a message to be sent to them. Click Send.
How many people can I invite to an AV video chat at one time?
The maximum number of video windows in AV is currently four. That means you can invite up to three of your friends. You can also select landscape mode. With a wider video window, a friend who's right there with you could simply sit next to you. +1!
Which browsers are supported for AV?
The following browsers are supported for your Windows operating system:
- Internet Explorer 7 and above
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Safari 5 and above
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
How do I type a message in the AV chat session?
Here's how to text chat with AV:
- At the bottom of your video window, click into the Type here to text chat box and type your message.
- Once you're finished with your message, press Enter on your keyboard.
And there you have it!
How do I access the video and microphone settings in AV?
Here's how to find the microphone and webcam settings in your AV chat session:1. Click the Settings button in the top-right corner of the page.
Can I pause my camera with AV?
Is there something you don't want your friends to see? No problem! There's a simple way to freeze your video with AV. Here's how:
Click on the video camera icon in the panel located on the left side of the page.
Your chat image will remain frozen until you click on the camera again.
How do I end an AV chat session?
Are you finished with your video chat? Would you like to stop your AV session? Here's how:
- Click the hang up icon (phone with a down arrow) located in the panel on the left side of the page.
- Click Yes, get me out of here.
How do I remove some one from an AV chat session?
Uh oh, is someone behaving badly? Do you need to bounce someone right out of your AV chat? You can get rid of them in a snap! Here's how:
- Drag your cursor over the upper right corner of that person's chat window, and click on the X.
- Click Yes, remove them.
How do I switch to landscape mode in an AV chat?
Do you need to fit more into your video chat? Switch to landscape view. It's easy! Here's how:
- Click the Portrait button located in the panel on the left side of the page to switch to Landscape mode.
- There you have it.
Note: If you want to switch back, click the Landscape button located in the panel on the left side of the page.
How do I mute my microphone in an AV chat session?
Muting your mic is easy enough with AV. Here's how:
In order to mute your microphone, all you have to do is click on the Microphone icon located in the panel on the left side of the page.
How do I take a groupshot in AV?
If you want to snap a picture of the group you're video chatting with, you are in luck. You can even post the photo to your Facebook, Twitter or Tumbler account, and send the link out by email. It's easy as one two three:
- One, click the camera icon at the bottom of the chat window.
- Two, review the snapshot, by clicking on it.
- Three, if you like the photo, share it!