The following solution will show you how to close out of all non-essential programs in Windows 2000. Follow the steps below.
1. Right-click a blank or an empty area of the Windows taskbar, and then click Task Manager.
2. Click the Applications tab.
3. Click a program to select it, and then click End Task.
4. Click the Processes tab.
5. Click a process other than the required processes listed below to select it, and then click End Process.
Note: If you are unsure what applications are required by your computer, please contact your computer manufacturer.
Required Processes (Do not end):
6. If prompted by a Task Manager Warning message, click Yes.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all non-required processes are closed, and then close the Windows Task Manager window.
After trying all of the steps above and you are still experiencing issues, return to the previous article and continue troubleshooting.