If you’re working with a new computer or are unsure of what version of Windows is installed on your PC, we can help!
While Windows versions are all very similar to one another, different versions can affect how you perform certain actions, such as shutting down your computer or accessing Windows Control Panel.
A command known as “winver” exists on all Windows operating systems. Using this command displays an About Windows window that shows all operating system version information.
To run this command, please perform the following steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
- If you do not see Run, click the Search programs and files or Start Search box.
- If you don't see the Start button, you are most likely using Windows 8. Press the windows button on your keyboard or move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen and then click the Start window that you see. To locate Run, press "R" on your keyboard.
- On Windows 10, locate the Search Box that is next to the Start button on the left end of your taskbar and then type in the word "Run". After the results are displayed click on Run(Desktop App).
2. Type winver and press Enter.
3. The About Windows window opens. Note the version of the Windows operating system installed on your computer, and then click OK.