Too many icons filling up your taskbar? Not enough items? Continue reading for more information on how to customize your Microsoft Windows 7 and 8 system tray.
The Windows system tray (or “systray”) is the area next to the clock on the Windows taskbar. The systray displays program icons that provide status updates and notifications about things such as network connectivity and antivirus program updates. When installed, some programs add an icon automatically to the systray. With the Windows 7 and 8 system tray, you can customize which programs can display icons and/or provide updates and notifications.
1. On the Windows taskbar, next to the clock, click Show hidden icons, and then click Customize.
2. Under Behaviors, click the drop-down menu next to the icon of the program installed on your computer. You can choose from one of the following options:
- Show icon and notifications: Displays the program icon in the systray.
- Hide icon and notifications: Hides the program icon and notifications. You will need to click Show hidden icons to view the icon.
- Only show notifications: Shows the program icon only when there is an update to that program.
3. To save the changes, click OK.