Select a topic below to see more information.
Download and install AOL Desktop 9.0vr
To download and install AOL Desktop 9.0vr, please follow the instructions below:
1. Visit http://daol.aol.com/software/90vr.
2. Click the Download Now button.
3. Open the file and click Run.
4. If you are using Windows XP, click Run again. If you are using Windows 7, or 8, or Vista and are prompted by the User Account Control window, click Yes or Continue. The AOL Desktop 9.0vr installer will launch and begin downloading necessary files for installation. You can minimize this and let it download in the background by clicking Minimize. If you wish to quit the download process, please click Quit Now.
5. Next you'll be prompted to shut down any AOL applications you have open. To do this, click Continue Install.
Note: If you do not see this message move to the next step.
6. If you already have a previous version of the AOL Desktop software installed on your computer, select Upgrade Existing Version to copy your email, address book settings, and other various files. Before doing so, please select your previous version from the drop-down provided to make sure AOL copies over your correct data. If you don't already have a version of the AOL Desktop software on your computer, select Install New Version. After selecting an option, click Continue.
7. Select your preferred software settings by checking the corresponding check boxes and then click Continue.
8. Review your selected settings.
9. Select the folder in which you want to install AOL Desktop 9.0vr by clicking Change Location.
10. Once you’re finished, click Install Now. Once installation completes, AOL Desktop 9.0vr will run.
System Requirements for AOL Desktop 9.0vr
Before installing the AOL Desktop software, please ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for AOL Desktop 9.0vr. If you install the AOL Desktop software on a computer that doesn't meet the system requirements, you may experience problems with either the software or the computer.
For instructions on how to check whether your computer meets the system requirements specified below, please read our help article How do I determine whether my computer meets the system requirements?
Minimum system requirements for AOL Desktop 9.0vr:
- Windows Vista, XP, 2000, ME or 98SE
- 32MB RAM Minimum (64MB recommended for XP, 512MB recommended for Vista)
- 250 MB (megabytes) of free hard drive space minimum, depending on your Windows operating system, and an additional 90 MB if you need to install Internet Explorer 6.0.
- Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- 166 MHz Pentium class processor or higher
- VGA, SVGA or better display
- 800x600 screen resolution or higher -- 1024x768 for optimal viewing
- 28.8 Kbps or faster modem or other means of Internet connection
Trouble downloading AOL Desktop 9.0vr
If you're having trouble downloading AOL Desktop 9.0vr from discover.aol.com/software, follow the instructions below to resolve the issue. Please go through the solutions in order to resolve your issue.
Reset web settings
If you've installed another web browser after installing Internet Explorer, some of your Internet Explorer settings may have changed. You can reset your Internet Explorer to its default settings. The homepage, search pages and the default browser will be reset without changing the settings of the other browsers on your computer. Please visit our help article Reset web settings to learn more.
What if AOL Desktop 9.0vr won’t install?
The AOL 9.0VR Setup should start automatically once you've downloaded the program. If it doesn't -- or you need to find the 9.0 Setup program for some other reason -- here's what to do:
On Windows 98 or Windows ME
1. On your desktop, double-click the My Computer icon.
2. Double-click your local hard drive (usually named "c:\")
3. Look for a folder named “AOL Downloads” and double-click to open it.
4. Look for a folder named “aolsetup90” and double-click to open it.
5. Double-click setup90.exe to start the AOL 9.0VR Setup program.
On Windows 2000 or Windows XP
1. On your desktop, double-click the My Computer icon.
2. Double-click on your local hard drive (usually named "c:\").
3. Look for a folder named “Documents and Settings” and double-click to open it.
4. Look for a folder named “All Users” and double-click to open it.
5. Look for a folder named “Documents” or “Shared Documents” and double-click to open it.
6. Look for a folder called “AOL Downloads” and double-click to open it.
7. Look for a folder named “aolsetup90” and double-click to open it.
8. Double-click setup90.exe to start the AOL 9.0VR Setup program.
Trouble uninstalling the AOL Desktop Software
If you are unable to uninstall the AOL Desktop Software, the solutions below will help resolve the issue. After trying the first solution, check whether you can uninstall the AOL Desktop Software. If you are still unable to uninstall the AOL Desktop, continue using the suggested solutions until the problem is fixed.
Information you need
You will need to know the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system installed on your computer. You can find this information by following the instructions given in the help article Determining your version of Microsoft Windows. For assistance with uninstalling the AOL Desktop Software, refer to our help article How do I uninstall the AOL Desktop Software?.
IMPORTANT: If you have saved your AOL password on the AOL Desktop Software, ensure that you remember the password before you perform the steps given below as uninstalling the AOL Desktop Software will delete your saved password. If you don’t remember your password, we recommend that you change your password before proceeding any further. To do so, you will need to remember the answer to your Account Security Question (ASQ) to be able to change your password. You can change your ASQ if you don’t remember the answer to it. For instructions on how to change your password or ASQ, refer to the following help article: Account Management: Managing your AOL Password.
Enable only essential startup programs
Multiple programs may have been set to start automatically when a computer is turned on, which may cause the computer to slow down. Not all startup programs are essential for the proper functioning of your computer. For instructions to enable only the essential startup programs on your computer, please click the appropriate link from the ones given below depending on the version of Windows installed on your computer.
If you are using Windows 2000, Me or 98, you will have to manually close all the programs that are currently running on your computer to resolve the issue. Please click the link corresponding to the version of Windows you have on your computer for instructions to close all programs.
Close all running programs
Other programs or processes that are running on your computer might interfere with the uninstalling process of the AOL Desktop Software. Refer to our help article Enable only essential startup programs to close all the other programs that may be running on your computer. Once these programs are closed, try uninstalling the AOL Desktop Software from the Control Panel by following the instructions given in our help article How do I uninstall the AOL Desktop Software?.
Run ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter on your hard drive
ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter are tools used for maintaining your computer's efficiency. These tools inform you about potential problems with your hard drive. ScanDisk scans the computer for infected files and fixes them to improve your computer's performance. Disk Defragmenter maintains your computer by consolidating data and helps you find information efficiently.
IMPORTANT: Do not perform Disk Defragmentation on a solid-state drive (SSD) as it may lower the life span of the drive. If you are unsure about the drive(s) in your computer, please contact your computer manufacturer.
Click the link corresponding to the version of Windows you have on your computer for instructions to run ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter on your computer.
Manually delete AOL folders
Sometimes, uninstalling the AOL Desktop Software may not resolve the issue that you are currently facing. In such cases, manually deleting the AOL folders will ensure that all AOL files and folders are removed from your computer. The instructions to delete the AOL folders differ depending on the version of Windows installed on your computer. Click the appropriate version of Windows installed on your computer from the list below for instructions to manually delete the AOL Desktop Software.
Contact your computer manufacturer or a local technician
If you have tried all the solutions above, the problem may not be with the AOL Desktop Software. We recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer or, if your computer is no longer under warranty, contact a local computer repair shop or technician for further assistance. Let the computer manufacturer or technician know details about the issue. AOL uses many programs to deliver content to your computer, and these programs should function efficiently. All software programs are highly dependent on the computer's operating system and other applications to work properly; one of the following programs/applications may be the cause of the issue.
- The computer operating system
- Several media players
- Many text editors and text viewers
- Microsoft Internet Explorer and other web browsers.