The Personal Filing Cabinet (PFC) on the AOL Desktop Software helps you store and organize your emails. If you have multiple copies of your PFC either on the same computer or on different computers, you can merge the PFC files. The instructions below will show you how.
For Windows 7 users:
- AOL Desktop 9.6 and AOL 9.5 are the only versions of the AOL Desktop Software compatible with Windows 7.
For Windows Vista users:
AOL Desktop 9.6 and AOL 9.5 are the only versions of the AOL Desktop Software compatible with Windows 7.
You cannot merge PFC files on AOL Desktop v10.1.
- AOL 9.0 and higher are the only versions of the AOL Desktop Software that are compatible with Windows Vista.
- Ensure that both copies of the PFC are on the same computer. If one of the PFC files is on another computer, you can either send it as an email attachment and download it onto your computer or copy it onto a removable storage device (e.g., a flash drive or CD/DVD) and then go to Step 7 for instructions to merge the PFC files.
To merge the PFC files:
1. Close AOL Desktop.
2. Click the Start button. In the Search programs and files or Start Search box, type 'system' and then click AOL System Information. If prompted by the User Account Control window, click Yes or Continue. The AOL System Information 2.0 window will appear.
IMPORTANT: If the AOL System Information window doesn't appear, check the Windows taskbar for a flashing tab. If you see a flashing tab, click it. The User Account Control window will then appear. Click Yes. The AOL System Information window will appear.
3. Click the AOL Software tab, and then click Open Data Folder.
4. Double-click the organize folder.
5. Right-click the appropriate Username that has no extension after it, and then click Copy.
6. Navigate to the desktop, right-click on the desktop, and then click Paste. Rename the file as "[username].pfc" (where "username" is your Username).
7. Start the AOL Desktop Software as you normally would, but do not sign in.
8. Click the File menu, then click Open.
9. Locate the "[username].pfc" file that you copied to the desktop, and then click Open.
10. Click the File menu, then click Mail Saved on My PC (Filing Cabinet).
11. Click the Setup Folders drop-down menu, then click Create Folder.
12. In the Name New Folder box, enter the name of the new folder, and then click Save.
13. Drag the emails from the old PFC to the folder that has just been created.
Note: Ensure that the emails are dropped onto the new folder icon and not the window.