If you receive the error message "Cannot send message using smtp.aol.com" while sending an email using the Mac Mail 2, then try the solutions given below to resolve the issue. After trying the first solution, check whether the issue is resolved. If it persists, continue using the suggested solutions until the problem is fixed.
You may wish to print or save a copy of these instructions, as this page may not remain visible as you go through the suggested steps.
If you are having issues sending and receiving mails, verify whether the user account information and settings for the mail server is accurate.
To verify whether your account settings are accurate
1. Click the Mail icon on the Dock.
2. Click Mail, and then click Preferences.
3. In the Accounts window, fill out the following:
- Description - Any name of your choice.
- Email Address - Your Username followed by @aol.com.
- Full Name - Any name of your choice.
- Incoming Mail Server - Should be imap.aol.com.
- User Name - Your AOL Username.
- Password - Your AOL password.
4. Click the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) drop down menu, and then click Edit Server List.
5. Click the Advanced tab, verify the settings given below, and then click OK.
- Ensure that the Use custom port option is selected and type 587.
- Ensure that the check box next to Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is not selected.
- Ensure that Password is selected in the Authentication drop down menu.
- Ensure that the User Name is your AOL Username.
- Ensure that the Password is your AOL password.
6. Close all open windows.
1. Go to http://challenge.aol.com/spam.html.
2. On the Sign In window, enter your username and password, and then click the Sign In button.
3. In the Code in Image box, type the code shown in the Image, and then click Submit.
4. You will receive a message informing you that you have cleared the image challenge. Now you will be able to send out emails.