If you're experiencing issues using Mac Mail, running the connection doctor will locate the specific cause of the issue you're facing.
Run the connection doctor in Mac Mail
1. In your applications dock, click the mail icon.
2. In the top menu, click Window and then click Connection Doctor.
3. You will then see your connection status. An example is below (please note your status box may indicate different errors):
Note: If you see a spinning wheel within the Connection Doctor, go back to Window and select Activity to learn what is happening.
IMPORTANT: A red status button indicates that the mail application program cannot connect to the internet. If you receive a red status button but you are connected to the internet, there is a problem with a mail server on your account setup.
Possible error details you may see within the Mail Connection Doctor:
Unable to verify IMAP/SMTP Username and password combination
When you change your password in AOL Mail, you also need to change it anywhere else you check your mail -- your smartphone, Mac Mail, etc.
1. In Mac Mail, click the Mail menu and select Preferences.
2. In the window that opens, click Accounts.
3. If you changed your password in AOL Mail, change it here as well for the AOL Mail account in the "Password" box. That's it!
Could not connect to POP/IMAP/STMP server
Check your network connection and verify that you have entered the correct account preferences by double-clicking on the status box. Under account information, if everything is correct, the issue was most likely caused by a firewall or network firewall. Try again.
Also, verify that your server supports Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), a protocol that provides communication security over the internet. If it does not, uncheck the Use SSL box in the Advanced tab of Accounts preferences.
1. If Mac Mail is open, choose Mail.
2. Select Preferences.
3. Click Accounts. In the Accounts box click on the Advanced tab and uncheck Use SSL.
4. Close window (A save box will appear. Click Save).
No error but unable to send or retrieve emails using Mac Mail
If you're unable to send or receive mail or if you experience delays in receiving mail, restarting Mac Mail will usually fix the problem. However, if you've restarted Mac Mail but are still experiencing issues, the problem could be incorrectly entering a recipient’s email address, or a temporary mail issue. Re-creating and resending the message should work. Also, please check that the box next to Use SSL in the Advanced tab of Accounts preferences is NOT checked.
“!” symbol next to the mail folder but connection doctor was able to connect
As with the above issue, simply restarting Mac Mail will usually fix the problem; however, if you have restarted Mac Mail but are still unable to send emails, the problem could be incorrectly entering a recipient’s email address, or a temporary mail issue. Re-creating and resending the message should work.
- Verify your account settings: Verify whether the user account information and settings for the mail server is accurate.
- Refresh your mailbox: On the left pane of the Mac Mail Window, click Inbox below Setup AOL account. This action refreshes the mailbox.
- Restart Mac Mail: If none of the above solutions have worked, restarting Mac Mail usually fixes the problem.