Note: Upgrade to the latest version of the AOL Desktop software to take advantage of great new features!
The Spam Settings page in the AOL Desktop Software allows you to personalize your level of spam filtering and decide the frequency at which you are notified of new messages in your Spam folder. You can report junk email and block emails in the future from the sender right from your mailbox. Select an email, and then click the Report Spam or Notify AOL button. The email will be moved to the Spam folder.
You can also set the filter to automatically move junk email and unwanted email into your Spam folder. This process is simple, automatic, and personalized based on how you use email. There are four levels of protection that you can choose from. The default recommended setting is Medium.
The Spam Settings for each AOL Username can be set differently. You can select the desired Username from the Spam Settings for drop-down menu, and then click Go. The settings that you change now will reflect on the selected Username's email account.
The image given below shows how the spam settings page will look. Click the image below to see the full size image.
Note: If you sign on with the master Username for your account, you can access the spam settings for all the Usernames on your account. Otherwise, sign on with the Username that you would like to change the spam settings for.
To access the Spam Settings page from the AOL software
1. Sign on to the AOL software.
2. Click the Mail menu, and then click Block Unwanted Mail.
Note: Alternatively, go to AOL Keyword: Spam Controls.This keyword can be accessed only within the AOL software. However, the Keyword feature is not available in AOL Desktop v10.1.
4. The Spam Settings page will now open up.
To access the Spam Settings page from AOL Desktop v10.1
1. Sign on to AOL Desktop v10.1.
2. Click the Mail icon.
3. Click the Settings menu, and then click Spam Controls.
4. Click Edit Spam Controls.
5. The Spam Settings page will now open up.
Following are the different options available on the Spam Settings page:
You can choose among the following levels to control unwanted emails coming into your Inbox or New Mail folder.
Note: The recommended setting is Medium.
- Off: Advanced Spam Filters are off. Messages suspected as spam will still be delivered to your Inbox or the New Mail folder.
- Low: Only obvious spam messages will be identified and delivered to the Spam folder. Some spam messages may be delivered to your Inbox or the New Mail folder.
- Medium: Almost all spam will be identified and delivered to your Spam folder. Check your Spam folder every few days to make sure that a non-spam email was not accidentally delivered there.
- High: Virtually all spam will be identified and delivered to your Spam folder. This high level of filtering may inadvertently send non-spam emails to your Spam folder. Check your Spam folder regularly.
Click the view spam folder link to view the spam folder for your account.
The Sender Filter allows you to control from which email addresses you get email by selecting one of the following options:
- Block mail from addresses I specify: In this box, type the email address or domain name that you do not wish to receive emails from. You can add multiple email addresses or domain names to this list by separating them by commas.
- Allow mail from all senders: Anyone can send you email.
- Allow mail only from aol.com users: You will receive emails from email-addresses ending in '@aol.com' only.
- Allow mail only from people I know: Only people on your Buddy List window or email addresses in your Address Book can send you email.
- Allow mail only from addresses I specify: In this box, type the email address or domain name from which you would like to receive emails. Please note that, if you select this option, you will receive emails only from the addresses specified here. You can add multiple email addresses or domain names to this list by separating them by commas.
- Block mail from all senders: No one can send you email.
The Content Filter allows you to control the email that you receive on the basis of the content of the email. The Content Filter section has the following options:
- Block mail containing pictures or files: If checked, any email containing pictures or files will be blocked.
- Send mail containing specific words and phrases to my Spam folder: If checked, you can enter specific words or phrases in the box below. Any email containing the specific words or phrases will be sent to your Spam folder. You can enter multiple words or phrases separated by commas.
Blocked Mail settings
Once you have chosen your settings, you need to select how blocked email should be handled. If you choose to delete blocked email permanently, then all email that is blocked will be deleted. This includes email that may come to you from people who are not on a custom sender list that you may want to receive email from. It is recommended that you have all blocked emails sent to your Spam folder.
You can select one of the following options from the Blocked mail drop-down menu:
- Permanently delete blocked mail: Delete all blocked email permanently.
- Deliver blocked mail to Spam folder: Move all blocked email to the Spam folder.