Your AOL username is your unique identity that gives you access to services like AOL Mail. To learn more about managing your AOL username, please click a heading below.
What is an AOL username?
An AOL username is your unique identity that gives you access to services like AOL Mail.
For AOL email addresses, usernames are the first part of your email address before the "@" symbol. For non-AOL email addresses, your username is your entire email address.
How many usernames can I have in my AOL account?
Eligible members can have up to seven usernames, including your primary Master username on your account depending on your AOL Plan and account type. However, effective November 30, 2017, the ability to add and restore deleted usernames will no longer be available. To create a new username, visit https://i.aol.com/reg/signup, complete the form and sign up. Please note that any new usernames will be created as separate accounts and not linked to your existing AOL account.
Can I modify my AOL username?
Unfortunately, you can't modify or change an AOL username once you've created it. However, you can delete any unwanted usernames (except for the primary master username) from your account.
Note: Use caution when deleting a username because it cannot be restored.
What is a Master username?
The username you create when you first sign up for an AOL account is the primary Master username. Note: The primary Master username will always have the Master username status and cannot be changed.
All Master usernames can:
- Change the account's billing method and price plan.
- Purchase products using the account's payment method on file with AOL.
- Cancel premium products and services subscribed to by any username on the account.
- Delete other usernames on the account. (Note: deleted usernames cannot be restored.)
Which username is my Master username?
To determine your Master username:
1. Go to MyAccount and sign in with your username, password and answer to your Account Security Question (ASQ).
2. Click Manage my Usernames under Username Options.
3. The username that is listed in the Primary Master Screen Name section is your Master username
Unable to delete a General username
If you are a Master or Designated Master username on the account and you try to delete a General username, you may receive an error message
If you receive this message and would still like to delete the username, you must first cancel any AOL Paid Plan or Premium subscriptions associated with the username.
To cancel a subscription:
1. Go to MyAccount and sign in with your Master username or email and password. If you're signed in already, skip to step 3, below.
2. Type the answer to your Account Security Question and click Continue.
3. Click Manage My Subscriptions under Service Options.
4. Click the Cancel link that corresponds to the product you are cancelling. (Note: You may need to click on the Premium Subscriptions tab.)
5. Make sure you review all of the benefits you'll lose by canceling your subscription. If you decide to keep the service, click Keep My Plan. If you have a premium subscription, click Keep My Subscription. If you'd still like to cancel, select your reason from the drop-down menu and click the Cancel button.
6. A notification will show that your product or service has been canceled.
Shortly after, you'll receive an email that confirms your service has been canceled. Please keep in mind it may take a few hours to complete the cancellation process. Once the subscription has been canceled, you will then be able to delete the username.
Can I create a new username as a designated Master username?
Effective November 30, 2017, AOL will no longer offer the ability to add or modify usernames to an account. You will only have the ability to delete a username. Please note that once a username is deleted, it cannot be restored.
Can I open a new AOL account with my secondary username?
No. You can't use a secondary username to create a new AOL account. You also can't move or merge an existing username from one account to another.
How can I view all usernames associated with my AOL account?
Simple! Log into myaccount.aol.com and select Manage Usernames or go to AOL Keyword: Names within your AOL Desktop software.