The Extended Computer Protection program will have 3 changes to their terms of service March 1st, 2014. See below for more information, and read on to learn about Extended Computer Protection.
- Per Claim Service Fee May Apply: Users may be responsible for a service fee for claims submitted for covered product repairs. The service fee amount will be determined by the benefit amount available for each price plan. When an AOL/CompuServe or Netscape Connect member calls to file a claim, the claims agent will determine the amount based on the repair or replacement issue whether to charge the service fee. Additionally, the In-Home service is being discontinued.
- Repair Depot service: If your product requires repair, it must now be shipped to a designated repair depot location for service, as the in-home repair service is being discontinued. Pre-paid shipping labels and materials will be provided, and standard shipping costs will be covered.
- Claim Disputes will be arbitrated: The Terms of Service will include an Arbitration Agreement, which requires formal disputes to be resolved through binding arbitration or small claims court. These changes will apply to any dispute that arises after March 1st, 2014.
Members who upgrade their account to certain AOL MyBenefits plans will automatically receive up to $250-$1500 per year of Extended Computer Protection — from AOL to repair or replace a computer in case of hardware failure1. Coverage amount is based on your AOL MyBenefits plan. This covers one personal PC, laptop or tablet. This protection plan also covers your monitor, keyboard and mouse. To view what your AOL MyBenefits plan has to offer, check out your AOL MyBenefits page at mybenefits.aol.com.
With Extended Computer Protection – from AOL, we've made it easier for you to get your computer hardware issues resolved with the below option:
- Mailing-In Repair: If you have a personal laptop or tablet, we will send you a pre-paid shipping label or box for you to mail in. Once we fix the issue, we'll send it back to you.
Additional assistance includes phone troubleshooting and support that is available 24/7, 365 days a year. The dedicated member representatives can troubleshoot issues and provide real-time scheduling if an appointment is necessary. Any required repairs are provided by experienced technicians. If we are unable to restore a hardware issue or if the extended computer protection amount does not cover the entire repair, we'll either offer you a replacement product or send you a check for up to $250-$15001 to put towards the purchase of a new computer or the cost of repair elsewhere.
Think you may have a computer hardware issue? Simply call 1-844-233-9781 to speak with a dedicated member representative who will troubleshoot the problem with you over the phone and determine the best course of action using one of the following repair options listed above. If it is a software issue, the member representative can transfer you to an appropriate professional that can provide general software repair. There is no service fee for any repair or replacement provided as part of the software repair program.
For all devices, coverage is provided for failures due to mechanical or electrical breakdowns of the product caused by defects in workmanship and/or materials including those due to normal wear and tear. This program also includes power surge protection. For laptops and tablets only, members receive accidental damage from handling (ADH) coverage.
The amount of coverage will be tied to your AOL MyBenefits plan. You will receive 100% parts and labor coverage claim limit of up to $250-$1500, depending on the amount of coverage that comes along with your AOL MyBenefits plan. A per claim service of $25-$100 may also apply depending on your plan.
Any required repairs are provided by experienced technicians that have been pre-screened to ensure members are receiving the best service possible. Prepaid shipping is provided for all laptops and desktops.
I have several PCs in my home, including laptops and tablets. Which one is protected?
Extended Protection Plans from AOL provide coverage for a qualified product within your household. That means one desktop or laptop system within your home is protected by these plans. Of course, that includes either the computer monitor (up to 19”, measured diagonally), keyboard (wired or wireless), mouse (wired or wireless), external broadband modem or non-commercial router (wired or wireless).
Are any PC or operating system brands excluded from coverage?
PCs or laptops, regardless of brand* or operating system are covered.
*The plans do not cover non-branded, owner-built PCs.
What if my PC is too old to qualify for coverage?
A desktop personal computer or laptop computer, regardless of age or brand is covered.
Is coverage effective immediately?
Yes, coverage is effective immediately once you are on an eligible AOL MyBenefits plan that includes Extended Computer Protection — from AOL as a benefit. Your coverage will continue as long as you remain on an eligible AOL MyBenefits plan.
My computer has an extended warranty, is there any reason to have or use this coverage?
If you have a desktop or laptop in your household that does not have an extended warranty, you have the option of covering it with Extended Computer Protection — from AOL.
How do I file a claim?
Call us toll-free at 1-877-225-2111 any time to file a claim. We're available 24/7, 365 days a year. A trained customer care representative will help troubleshoot the problem to make sure it's a hardware malfunction. Then the care representative will immediately arrange for the repair or replacement of your equipment.
Is this the same as AOL Technical Support?
No. AOL Technical Support is a separate service solution that provides technical support of your computer software.
Will my computer be repaired or replaced?
We will attempt to repair the product first before replacing. We recommend that you back-up all software and data prior to service. We are not responsible for preserving data or restoring software or data to your product.
Is there a limit to the cost of repair within a claim?
Yes. Once coverage begins you'll have parts and labor coverage for a per-claim limit of up to $250-$1500 per year, depending on your AOL MyBenefits plan. Below details which coverage amount comes with each AOL MyBenefits plan:
- AOL Support & Security Plus: $250 Extended Computer Protection — from AOL
- AOL Advantage Essentials: $500 Extended Computer Protection — from AOL
- AOL Advantage Plus and AOL Advantage Premium: $750 Extended Computer Protection — from AOL
- AOL Advantage Premium Plus: $1000 Extended Computer Protection — from AOL
- AOL Total Advantage and AOL Advantage Premium Ultra: $1250 Extended Computer Protection — from AOL
- AOL Total Advantage Premium Plus and AOL Total Advantage Plus: $1500 Extended Computer Protection — from AOL
Are there any service fees or deductibles?
Yes, you may be responsible for a $25-$100 service fee each time you make a repair or replacement claim, depending on your AOL MyBenefits plan. Payments will be collected by the claims agent by Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover.
- AOL Support & Security Plus: $25 service fee
- AOL Advantage Essentials: $50 service fee
- AOL Advantage Plus and AOL Advantage Premium: $75 service fee
- AOL Advantage Premium Plus, AOL Total Advantage, AOL Advantage Premium Ultra, AOL Total Advantage Premium Plus and AOL Total Advantage Plus: $100 service fee
- AOL Total Advantage Premium Plus and AOL Total Advantage Plus: $100 service fee
What's the difference between this protection plan and those sold by retailers?
There are several advantages to Extended Protection Plans — from AOL versus the typical plans sold by retailers. Some of the unique and attractive features of our plan include:
- One desktop or laptop computer in your household is covered
- There's no brand or age restriction on the PCs, laptops or tablets you enroll
- Laptops and tablets are covered for accidental damage from handling, like drops and spills that are a result of normal use.
Where can I view the Terms of Service?
To review your Extended Computer Protection – from AOL Terms of Service please click here.
1 Coverage amount is based on your AOL MyBenefits plan. Limitations, exclusions, and service fees apply.