At AOL we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date software to ensure your computer is secure and operating smoothly. That’s why we provide our members with McAfee upgrades and updates at no expense to you.
The latest version of McAfee is McAfee SecurityCenter - Special edition from AOL version 12.8. If you've installed McAfee after October 14, 2013 you are using version 12.8. If you are unsure of which version of McAfee you are using, please visit How do I determine the version of McAfee installed on my computer?
If you do not have McAfee version 12.8 you can upgrade your version by uninstalling McAfee using the McAfee consumer product removal tool (MCPR) and installing the newest version of McAfee. Please read the instructions below to learn how.
Uninstall McAfee using the McAfee consumer product removal tool (MCPR)
Note: If you already have the MCPR tool installed on your computer please skip to the Using the MCPR tool portion of this article for instructions on how to use it.
Downloading the MCPR Tool
1. Go to http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and download the MCPR.exe file.
2. Click Save.
3. Save the MCPR.exe file at a desired location (for example, on the Desktop), and then click Save.
4. In the Download complete window, click Close.
Using the MCPR tool
To use the MCPR tool:
1. Navigate to the destination where you’ve saved the MCPR.exe file, and then double-click the MCPR.exe icon to begin the installation.
2. Click Run.
3. In the McAfee Software Removal window, click Next.
4. After reading the End User License Agreement, select Agree and click Next.
5. In the Security Validation window, enter the characters you see and click Next.
6. In the second Security Validation window, enter the characters you see again and click Next.
7. The MCPR tool will begin to remove McAfee. This may take a few minutes. Once the installation is complete, the file immediately starts the clean-up process.
8. Click Restart to restart your computer.
9. Click Yes to restart your computer. Once the computer restarts, McAfee and other AOL security products will be removed.
Installing the newest version of McAfee
If you've already purchased McAfee Internet Security Suite - Special edition from AOL as part of your AOL MyBenefits plan or from Lifestore, you can start downloading McAfee:
- via your AOL OnePoint dashboard, click Download Now;
- via your MyBenefits dashboard at mybenefits.aol.com, click Protect Yourself Now;
- via your Order Confirmation email, click Download Now or Get Started Now (login, if prompted);
- via your Lifestore account at myaccount.aol.com, click Download Now or Get Started.
1. If you are using the Order Confirmation email to download McAfee, go to your AOL inbox to see your Order Confirmation email. Click on the Get Started Now button in the email to start downloading the McAfee software.
2. Use the email address and temporary password provided in the email to log in to home.mcafee.com and log in with your AOL email address and McAfee password, and then click Log In.
3. Under the Products and Subscriptions tab, click Download.
4. After reading the McAfee Consumer Products End User License Agreement, click I Agree.
5. Within the Download Your McAfee Software page, make note of the serial number for your software. You will need it during the registration process.
6. Review the steps to complete your installation, then click Download.
7. A pop-up window will appear with a message, asking Do you want to run or save McAfeeSetup-Serial.exe from download.mcafee.com?, click Run.
8. When the McAfee Setup files are completely downloaded from the internet, another message will ask if you want McAfee Master Installer to make changes to your computer; click Yes.
9. McAfee will clean threats on your PC.
10. Ensure Complete (Recommended) is selected, and then click Next.
11. McAfee will check your PC for conflicting anti-virus software.
12. McAfee will download the software installation files. This could take some time depending on the speed of your internet connection.
13. Opt in or out of the McAfee Customer Response option, then click Next.
14. The installation process will begin.
15. The installation is complete. Click Finish.