You may not be able to print from within the AOL software because of a faulty printer, corrupted files associated with the printer, conflicting programs, or an older version of the AOL software. Given below are some solutions to resolve the issue. After trying the first solution, check whether you are able to print. If the issue persists, continue using the suggested solutions until the problem is fixed.
You may wish to print or save a copy of these instructions as this page may not remain visible as you go through the suggested steps.
Information you need
You will need to know the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system and the AOL software installed on your computer and the version of AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) that your AOL software (AOL 9.0 or higher) uses to connect to the Internet. You can find this information by following the instructions given in the online help articles mentioned below:
- Determining your version of Microsoft Windows
- How do I determine the version of Internet Explorer I have?
- How do I determine the version of AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) I have?
Note: If you are using AOL 9.0 VR or higher versions of the AOL software, you have ACS 4 installed on your computer.
- Verify whether the printer works with other programs
- Clear print spool
- Enable only essential startup programs
- Run Quick Restore
- Uninstall and reinstall the AOL software
- Upgrade to the latest version of the AOL software
To verify whether the printer works with other programs
1. Right-click a blank area on the desktop, click New, and then click Text Document.
2. Double-click the New Text Document icon.
3. In the Notepad document that opens, type some text.
4. Click File, and then click Print.
5. Click Print again, and then check whether your printer works. If prompted to save the document, save the document to the location of your choice.
Note: If you are unable to print, the problem could be with your printer. Please contact your computer manufacturer or the printer manufacturer.
6. Click X to close the Notepad document.
7. Click Don't Save or No when asked to save the changes.
8. Right-click the New Text Document icon on the desktop, and then click Delete. If you saved the Notepad document, please delete it from the location you saved it at.
9. Click Yes.
Sometimes, you may not be able to print because of a corrupted print spool. Clearing the print spool often resolves this issue. Click the link corresponding to the version of Windows on your computer for instructions on how to clear the print spool.
Multiple programs may have been set to start automatically when a computer is turned on. These programs may cause the computer to slow down. Not all startup programs are essential for the proper functioning of a computer.
Click the link corresponding to the version of Windows installed on your computer for instructions on how to enable only essential startup programs.
- Please close the AOL software before performing these steps.
- If you are using AOL Desktop v10.1, skip to the next solution. If you are using AOL 8.0 Plus or lower, go to Clear AOL Artwork Database.
The Quick Restore feature allows you to reset the AOL software to the default state by deleting all the updates downloaded in the past. It can help resolve issues that you may have with your AOL software without having to reinstall the software.
Once Quick Restore is completed, you will receive a series of AOL software updates to update your AOL software.
Please click the link corresponding to the version of ACS installed on your computer for instructions on how to run Quick Restore.
If the issue persists, we recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the AOL software. Uninstalling the AOL software removes all damaged and non-repairable files. Once the uninstallation is complete, reinstalling a new copy of the AOL software is quick and easy. Please note that uninstalling the AOL software removes all screen names and settings associated with it. However, your Filing Cabinet files will automatically be stored on the desktop in a folder named Saved on AOL.
Important: If you have saved your AOL password on the AOL software, ensure that you remember your password before you uninstall the AOL software because uninstalling the software will delete your saved password. If you don’t remember your password, we recommend that you change your password before proceeding any further. You will also need to remember the answer to your Account Security Question (ASQ) to be able to change your password. You can change your ASQ if you don’t remember the answer to it. For instructions on how to change your password or ASQ, refer to the following online help articles:
Please click the link corresponding to the version of Windows on your computer for instructions to uninstall the AOL software.
Note: If you are unable to uninstall the AOL software, refer to our online help article Can't uninstall the AOL Desktop Software.
You can upgrade to the latest version of the AOL software by going to http://discover.aol.com/software/. For instructions on downloading the latest AOL software, please read our online help article AOL Desktop Software 9.7: Installing and Uninstalling