You may not be able to print from within the AOL software because of a faulty printer, corrupted files associated with the printer, conflicting programs, or an older version of the AOL software. Given below are some solutions to resolve the issue. After trying the first solution, check whether you are able to print. If the issue persists, continue using the suggested solutions until the problem is fixed.
Verify whether the printer works with other programs
To verify whether the printer works with other programs
1. Right-click a blank area on the desktop, click New, and then click Text Document.
2. Double-click the New Text Document icon.
3. In the Notepad document that opens, type some text.
4. Click File, and then click Print.
5. Click Print again, and then check whether your printer works. If prompted to save the document, save the document to the location of your choice.
Note: If you are unable to print, the problem could be with your printer. Please contact your computer manufacturer or the printer manufacturer.
6. Click X to close the Notepad document.
7. Click Don't Save or No when asked to save the changes.
8. Right-click the New Text Document icon on the desktop, and then click Delete. If you saved the Notepad document, please delete it from the location you saved it at.
9. Click Yes.
Clear print spool
Sometimes, you may not be able to print because of a corrupted print spool. Clearing the print spool often resolves this issue.
To clear the print spool:
1. On the Windows taskbar, next to the clock, double-click the Printer icon. If you don't see the Printer icon next to the clock, you may need to click the Show hidden icons arrow to reveal hidden icons.
Windows XP and lower
Note: If you are using Windows 7, you can choose the icons that you want displayed in the area next to the clock (System Tray). For instructions to do so, read our online help How do I customize Windows 7 and 8 system tray?.
2. Right-click the print job in progress, and then click Cancel.
3. Click Yes to confirm the cancellation. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until all the print jobs are cancelled.
4. Close all open windows.
Uninstall and reinstall the AOL software
If the issue persists, we recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the AOL software. Uninstalling the AOL software removes all damaged and non-repairable files. Once the uninstallation is complete, reinstalling a new copy of the AOL software is quick and easy. Please note that uninstalling the AOL software removes all screen names and settings associated with it. However, your Filing Cabinet files will automatically be stored on the desktop in a folder named Saved on AOL.
Important: If you have saved your AOL password on the AOL software, ensure that you remember your password before you uninstall the AOL software because uninstalling the software will delete your saved password. If you don’t remember your password, we recommend that you change your password before proceeding any further. You will also need to remember the answer to your Account Security Question (ASQ) to be able to change your password. You can change your ASQ if you don’t remember the answer to it. For instructions on how to change your password or ASQ, refer to the following online help articles:
- Account Management: Managing your AOL Password
- Account Management: Managing your Account Security Question (ASQ)
Please click the link corresponding to the version of Windows on your computer for instructions to uninstall the AOL software.
Note: If you are unable to uninstall the AOL software, refer to our online help article AOL Desktop Software: Installing and Uninstalling.
Upgrade to the latest version of the AOL software
You can upgrade to the latest version of the AOL software by going to http://discover.aol.com/software/. For instructions on downloading the latest AOL software, please read our online help article AOL Desktop Software: Installing and Uninstalling