FAQs:Select an FAQ below to see more information.
How is AOL Desktop Gold compared to current versions?
AOL Desktop Gold offers enhanced security features to help prevent your AOL account from being compromised. Our two-step verification process significantly helps prevent your AOL account from being compromised by requiring a second form of authorization in addition to your password. Plus, added encryption makes the personal information you’ve stored in AOL Desktop unreadable to anyone who attempts to steal it.
The design and features of AOL Desktop Gold are similar to traditional Desktop versions to ensure a smooth transition. Your usernames, passwords, toolbar icons and mail will be transferred, along with your favorites and contacts. And with AOL Desktop Gold, we’ll automatically replace old versions as new ones become available, saving you time and space on your computer.
What's new in the latest AOL Desktop?
Much of what you know and love about the AOL Desktop software is still in the latest AOL Desktop, but just more secure and faster.
AOL Desktop Gold is optimized for the speed of broadband internet
We've streamlined the download and installing process and have taken the stress out of updating your AOL Desktop software. Updates to your software now happen automatically in the background, leaving you with an uninterrupted, connected experience.
The benefits of the new update process include but are not limited to:
- Always have the latest software version, and access to AOL
- Uses less space on your computer since it automatically replaces the old updates with the new ones.
- Saves time with improved speed and performance
- Fewer errors and less frequent crashes
- Personalized to fit your preferences and style by changing text and font sizes
- Helps prevent your AOL account from being compromised or hacked
- Less frustration with fewer steps for download and install
- Saves time because the download and install process is significantly faster
- You won't waste time learning something new, and you can feel confident that you can use the new AOL Desktop without a learning curve
- Same easy-to-use navigation that you're familiar with
- Automatically imports data from the last used installed version including: usernames, saved passwords, toolbar icons and mail
- You can manually run an import from the File menu
- Favorites and contacts will follow you wherever you go since they are stored on AOL servers and not your desktop/computer
- Quickly saves your favorite websites to Favorites and the Toolbar
- No more waiting for your favorite websites to load, like Facebook or Pinterest
How do I install AOL Desktop Gold?
Please refer to our help article AOL Desktop Gold: How to Download and Install for step-by-step instructions.
Is the chat room feature available in AOL Desktop Gold?
Yes! Chat rooms are available in AOL Desktop Gold. However, these chat rooms are used exclusively by AOL Desktop Gold users. Older versions of AOL Desktop cannot access AOL Desktop Gold chat rooms or vice versa.
For more information, please refer to our help article AOL Desktop Gold: Chat Rooms.
How do I make AOL Desktop Gold my default browser and/or email client?
To set AOL Desktop Gold as your default browser and/or email client follow the steps below:
- Open AOL Desktop Gold.
- Log in using your username and password.
- Click on Settings.
- On the General tab click on the Make Default buttons to make AOL Desktop your default browser and/or email client.
- A new window opens up. From the Default apps tab go to the Web Browser or to the Email section and select AOL Desktop Gold from the drop-down menu.
- That's it! AOL Desktop Gold is now your default browser and/or email client.
What is the browser Password Manager?
The browser Password Manager in AOL Desktop Gold is a secure and easy way to manage your online passwords and credentials. Refer to our help article for instructions on how to enable or disable this feature.
How do I purchase AOL Desktop Gold?
If you would like to purchase AOL Desktop Gold, click here.
Note: AOL Desktop Gold may already be included in your AOL Advantage Plan at no additional cost. See below for details (“My AOL Advantage Plan includes AOL Desktop Gold”).
How do other usernames on my account get AOL Desktop Gold?
If you purchased AOL Desktop Gold (or, if it’s included in your AOL Advantage Plan), all usernames on your account should have received an order confirmation email with a link to install. Access Manage My Subscriptions at any time to get the AOL Desktop Gold software.
Note: If AOL Desktop Gold is part of your AOL Advantage plan, all usernames on your account can access AOL Desktop Gold on the MyBenefits page.
What happens to my email if I do not upgrade to AOL Desktop Gold?
If you sign up for AOL Desktop Gold, your email will be migrated to the new version of the software. If you do not to upgrade to AOL Desktop Gold, you may still access your email using the old version of AOL Desktop software. However, you will not be able to send or receive new email in the old versions. To send or receive new email without upgrading to AOL Desktop Gold, you can use mail.aol.com on another browser. For more information, please refer to our help article What happens to my email if I do not upgrade to AOL Desktop Gold?.
What are the system requirements for AOL Desktop Gold?
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
- 266 MHz or faster computer processor
- 1024 x 768 or higher screen resolution recommended
- 1 GB RAM, 512 MB free hard disk space
- Internet connection
My AOL Advantage Plan includes AOL Desktop Gold
Do I need to download anything after I activated AOL Desktop Gold?
Yes. You will need to download and install the software to access AOL Desktop Gold. You can visit your MyBenefits page at mybenefits.aol.com to download - just click on the blue DOWNLOAD NOW button next to AOL Desktop Gold.
How do I receive support for AOL Desktop Gold?
You can visit mybenefits.aol.com to view your benefits or deactivate AOL Desktop Gold. For questions about the AOL Desktop Gold benefit, or if you need additional help please call us at 1-800-265-5555.
I purchased AOL Desktop Gold for a monthly fee
What kind of support is included with AOL Desktop Gold?
With this plan, you’ll receive support for technical issues related to your AOL service, including:
- AOL Mail issues like AOL Mail Login/Authentication, Misplaced Emails, AOL Mail Issues and AOL Mail on Your Mobile Device
- AOL Desktop Software issues like AOL Desktop Installation, AOL Desktop Toolbar Customization, AOL Desktop Connectivity and AOL Desktop Favorites
- AOL membership benefit activation
If you're looking for help with issues not related to AOL, like virus removal or PC optimization, check out Assist by AOL.
Do I need to download anything after I purchased AOL Desktop Gold?
Yes. You will need to download and install the software to access AOL Desktop Gold. All usernames on your account should have received an email with a link to download the software. You can also visit Manage My Subscriptions - just click on the "Premium Subscriptions" tab, find the product and click "Get Started".
How do I receive support for AOL Desktop Gold?
To get technical assistance for AOL Desktop Gold, please call the support phone number provided in your order confirmation email.
You can visit My Account to manage or cancel your AOL Desktop Gold subscription.