You may have trouble downloading McAfee Internet Security Suite - Special edition from AOL if temporary internet files and cookies are damaged or if you already have any other antivirus software installed on your computer. Listed below are some solutions to resolve the issue.
Note: Ensure you have only one antivirus software on your computer.
Information you need
You will need to know the web browser version and the AOL Desktop Software installed on your computer. You can find this information by following the instructions given in the help articles mentioned below:
If you have trouble downloading McAfee Internet Security using AOL, you may need to sign up and download McAfee Internet Security from AOL Premium Subscriptions.
Note: AOL members on the Dial-Up Advantage and High-Speed Essentials plans can download McAfee Internet Security software at no extra charge by going to daol.aol.com/security, under Paid AOL Members click Find Out More and follow the on-screen instructions to download McAfee.
Non-members or members on the Free AOL plan can download a free 30-day trial and then pay a monthly fee. Follow the instructions below to learn how.
If you would like to sign up for McAfee Internet Security, check out the directions below:
1. Visit the McAfee Internet Security detail page.
2. Click TRY IT FREE.
3. Click Sign in and enter your AOL login information. If you do not have an AOL account, you can create one by entering your First Name, Last Name, Email Address, Email Confirm, Password and Password Confirm.
4. If you have not provided your payment information, please do so:
- Enter your First Name, Last Name, Billing Address, Card Type, Card Number, Apt/Unit, City/Town, Expiration Date, Security Code, State and Zip Code.
5. If you have already provided your payment information, please select from the list of available options.
6. If you would like to pay using a new form of payment, please click Add New and follow the directions in step 4.
7. Review the Terms and Conditions and click COMPLETE PURCHASE.
8. The Order Confirmation screen will display, containing your Billing Confirmation and Order Summary.
9. Click Download Now to download McAfee Internet Security to your computer and begin the installation process.
Note: Once you subscribe to McAfee Internet Security, you can download it onto your computer by clicking the GET STARTED NOW button in the confirmation email that you received when you subscribed to the trial and then follow the on-screen instructions.
Clear cookies, cache, history and footprints
Whenever you visit websites, temporary internet files and cookies are stored on your computer to record your return visits. These temporary internet files and cookies can sometimes cause the issue you are experiencing. Your history list can be a similar concern. The longer the period of time you have specified for pages to be saved on your history list, the greater the disk space used on your computer. You can free disk space by clearing this list.
Note: Once you clear your cookies, cache, history and footprints, you may lose the following:
- AOL Radio presets
- Websites you have visited
- Your shopping cart
- Your customized pages
The instructions to clear your cookies, cache, history and footprints will differ depending on the browser you use. Please visit our help article Clear cookies, cache, history and footprints in your browser to learn how.
Ensure that the time, date and time zone are set correctly
If the time, date or time zone in Windows is set incorrectly, you may face problems downloading McAfee. To resolve this issue, ensure that the time, date and the time zone are set correctly. For instructions on how to change the date and time settings, refer to our help article Ensure that the date time and time zone on your computer are set correctly
Forgot password for my McAfee account
Do you have trouble installing McAfee Internet Security Suite because you forgot the password to your McAfee account? If so, please follow the steps mentioned below:
1) Go to http://home.mcafee.com/Default.aspx
2) Click Forgot your password link. The password will be sent to your email address that you have used to create your McAfee account.
3) Log in to your McAfee account with your Email Address and the new Password.
4) Click ACTIVE tab to download the software
Download McAfee using a new browser window
Close all open browser windows. Launch a browser window. Go to daol.aol.com/security and install McAfee Internet Security Suite - Special edition from AOL. For detailed instructions on how to install the McAfee software, refer to our help article Installing and Uninstalling McAfee.
Download the McAfee software from the McAfee website
1. Go to your AOL inbox to see your Order Confirmation email. Click on the Get Started Now button in the email to start downloading the McAfee software.
2. Use the email address and temporary password provided in the email to log in to McAfee.com.
3. Under the Device Protection tab, click Download.
4. After reading the McAfee Consumer Products End User License Agreement, click I Agree.
5. Click Download and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
6. Click Run.
7. When the download is complete, click Run.
- If the download doesn't start automatically, please close all open browsers, and then try to download McAfee again.
- If you are still unable to install the software even after trying repeatedly, refer to our online help article Unable to install McAfee Internet Security Suite - Special edition from AOL
Note: If you are using Windows Vista, on the User Account Control window, click Continue.
8. Ensure Complete (Recommended) is selected, and then click Next.
9. The software will now gather download information. This may take some time depending on the speed of your internet connection.
10. Please wait till McAfee scans your computer.
11. Once the scans is complete, it will continue with the installation.
12. Click Next.
13. Please wait till the optimizing the protection and firewall settings are complete.
14. Click Finish.