These suggestions are designed to help with dial-up connections only. If you don't have dial-up, you'll need to try some other steps to fix problems with broadband connections.
An active internet connection is required to be able to access all the best that AOL offers. If you're using dial-up internet and can't connect, try the following troubleshooting steps in the ordered they're listed until you get up and running again.
1. Check the dial tone - If you DO have one, it's likely the problem has something to do with your computer. If you DON'T, it's likely the problem has to do with your phone provider.
2. Has your phone service changed? If you've bundled phone and cable, but did not get broadband internet, your dial-up won't function. Dial-up doesn't work with phone services offered by cable companies.
3. Check your physical phone connection - A loose cable or cord can often be the cause of a connection problem.
4. Unplug all phone devices in your home - Unplug all phone devices in your home, then reconnect just the modem. Try to connect online, and if it works, plug in each device one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.
5. Restart your computer and modem - Sometimes the old "turn it off and on again" approach actually does work! Just wait about five minutes before turning it back on to make sure everything was reset.
6. Check if you can visit other sites with a different browser - The problem may be associated the browser you're using. If you don't have another browser, download a supported one for free.
7. Use a different access number - If you're unable to connect using AOL Dialer, you may need to manually add another access number to connect to the internet.
8. Verify your username and password - Make sure you're using the correct password. If you don't remember what your password is, you can reset the password and start fresh.
9. Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) - If you're still not able to get online, reach out to your ISP for additional help. For AOL customers, visit our support page to learn about what help options are available for you.