Recognize a hacked AOL Mail account
Keeping your account safe is important to us. If you think someone is trying to access or take over your account, there are some important steps you need to take to secure your information. Know the warning signs and what to do if your account has been compromised.
Signs of a hacked account
• You're not receiving any emails.
• Your AOL Mail is sending spam to your contacts.
• You keep getting bumped offline when you're signed into your account.
• You see logins from unexpected locations on your recent activity page.
• Your account info or mail settings were changed without your knowledge.
• Your inbox is full of MAILER-DAEMON notices for messages you didn't send.
• Your Address Book contacts have been erased or there are new contacts you didn't add.
Review your AOL Mail settings
Hackers may change the settings in your AOL Mail account to disrupt your inbox or get copies of your emails. Access your mail settings and make sure none of your info or preferences were changed without your knowledge. Things to look for include:
• Email filters
• Display name
• Email signature
• Blocked addresses
• Mail away message
If your account has been compromised
If you think your account has been compromised, follow the steps listed below to secure it.
1. Change your password immediately.
2. Delete app passwords you don’t recognize.
3. Revert your mail settings if they were changed.
4. Ensure you have antivirus software installed and updated.
5. Check to make sure your recovery options are up-to-date.
6. Consider enabling two-step verification to add an extra layer of security to your account.